Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true. I was slightly surprised to see it score a 10/10 too. Edge tend to be over critical normally with their reviews, but I can't imagine they would succumb to the same pressure from publishers as some others have.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all,

A 10/10 would indicate that this game would be setting new trends on its field, and to be honest Halo, especially Halo 3 doesn't really do that at all.
    All it did was perhaps make FPS games more appealing to console gamers.

And for the rest, its pretty well known that a lot developers these days 'buy' the scores for their games, they of course want to sell as much as possible in the end
    I find the quality a lot of games rather questionable, especially those of the extreme games.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not just these days. It's been happening all along. With all the Rise of the Robots talk here lately, I'd say that's clear evidence that this has been going on for ages.

Here's another, this was posted by one of the angry-gamer guys on their forum:

Back in my game reviewing days, I worked on (and ran)a PC game reviewing site (Hotgames.com, but dont bother looking for it any more since its been sold and changed into a stupid gambling site) that was owned by Melbourne House, makers of such fine games as…er…KKND, International Cricket and Dethkarz.

Most of the time I shat out average scores to average games and everything was fine. However whenever Melbourne House released a game like…er, KKND, International Cricket and Dethkarz, I had to give it 5 out of 5. I learned to damn with (very) faint praise. My wonderful reviews would then be used on the box and other marketing materials.

One time I tried to tell it “how it was” and say that KKND 2 was average at best, and the review was changed before it went online to be glowing and 5 / 5. I got mad about it for about ten minutes, then realised that I should have known this was going to happen. At least with that place, I knew ahead of time where my bread was buttered!

So this is nothing new, but at least back then my boss was honest about it.

And now Melbourne House, the website and my credibility as a game reviewer are long gone

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hello all,

A 10/10 would indicate that this game would be setting new trends on its field, and to be honest Halo, especially Halo 3 doesn't really do that at all.
    All it did was perhaps make FPS games more appealing to console gamers.
    A 10/10 in a Edge really should mean something special though, perhaps more than any other magazine or publication. Prior to Halo 3 the list of games attaining this score read:

Super Mario 64, Nintendo 64 (E35)
    Gran Turismo, Sony PlayStation (E55)
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Nintendo 64 (E66)
    Halo: Combat Evolved, Microsoft Xbox (E105)
    Half-Life 2, Windows PC (E143)

That's 5 games in 12 years. Then suddenly

Halo 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, (E181)
    The Orange Box, Windows PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 (E182)
    Super Mario Galaxy, Wii (E183)

3 games in 3 issues? Mario Galaxy I can understand, for having played it I feel it is as revolutionary as Mario64 was on it's release. Orange Box contains Half-Life 2 which previously received a 10/10 so I guess it gets the score on the basis it can't be marked as worse than HL2 on it's own. But Halo3 is simply an above-average FPS. It makes nowhere near the impression that the original Halo did, and especially is nowhere near as ground-breaking as either the original Half-Life or Goldeneye on the N64 were, neither of which obtained 10/10.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently, Microsoft sent out Halo 3 gift packs worth at least $800 to review sites and magazines prior to the game's release, and who knows what else was done behind the scenes?

Microsoft doesn't lack the funds, and I'm sure we all know about some of their 'shadier' practises. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It always surprised me that Edge never gave the original Half-Life a 10/10 rating back in the day, but I agree with all the other 10/10 scores they have given over the years, with the exception of Halo 3.

As has already been said, the original Halo was revolutionary at the time and brought a lot to the genre, but Halo 3 is just an updated newer take on the same game and not something revolutionary and deserving of a perfect score. Did they get influenced by M$ or are we just missing something? I would actually be surprised if the review in edge have been directly influenced as they are one of the few magazines who stick by their honest opinions, but who knows. Enough money or shiny things can influence anyone!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!