Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oldskool Uk plan Amibench replacement

For those that are mourning the loss of Amibench after ten years, us at Oldskool UK are looking to create an alternative site to replace it, Tecno wants to keep the Amibench name, so it's looking like ours will be called Amibay. We just want to offer an alternative to Fleabay specifically for the Amiga scene, in the way Amibench did.

We could do with some web coders on board to set the site up, we are looking at hosting options at present.

If you would like to help, please pop over to Oldskool UK and let us know.

Thanks

Merlin
    Old Amigas never die, they just get modded....

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As you probably know, classicamiga is running on its own dedicated server, so I can offer to help with the hosting of such a project if needed, as long as it's not something that is going to really hit the server hard. In addition I can offer classicamiga sub domains.

I did used to run a For Sale/Wanted section on the original version of the classicamiga website, and it was quite popular with people sending in adverts weekly. And on the current site there is a section in the members area for buying and selling items, but it has only ever been used by one member of the site, so has remained unused. For this reason I was actually considering removing it from the site.

I've been considering an Amiga auction section on the classicamiga forum for some time and there are already pre-made auction mods that exist, which could make life much easier. But it would be interesting to see what ideas for such a site have been posted on Oldskool UK.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    /Shameless plug on

Then why not sign up as a member of OldSkool UK, if you haven't already?

/Shameless plug off

Seriously, i have kicked a few ideas around but TBH it's early days, we will probably firm up some of the structure of the site over the weekend, we are looking into hosting, rules, running costs etc. and loads of other things, first thing is to get the team assembled and work out who is doing what. Loads to think about and any ideas are welcomed

Edit:

Dazzaboy has opened a public thread at OS-UK for people to offer suggestions and support etc. here:

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Old_Skoo...pic=1237&st=0&

If anyone wants to help with the project, please post in the thread above.

Ta

Merlin
    Last edited by Merlin; 23rd November 2007 at 16:31. Reason: Added link to OS-UK

@Harrison: thx for the offer of server space but we've got that adequately covered between us. We'll keep this thread updated about any new developments but feel free to hit the link to our forum (in Merls post) and chuck in any ideas/suggestions you may have.
    [url]www.oldskooluk.org[/url]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just think its good that we link all Amiga site together! Its good to affiliations with other sites
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok Guys,

www.amibay.co.uk is live and in alpha stage at the present, the site is live but still under construction. Feel free to take a peep and maybe read the FAQs of what we aim to do through the site. We need to iron a few bugs out and add a few bells and whistles but most of it is there.

We are all stoked about this project.....

Merlin

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    On trying the site:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just checked it out, it looks like it will be a good thing once it gets up and running. You'll have to advertise to get a stack of members. I'm not into buying/selling Amiga gear, I stick with the emulation, as I only ever use it for gaming
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Submeg

Ultimately it won't just be about Amiga, the site will cover no-cost trading in all retro hardware and software regardless of origin, Spectrum, C64, Atari, MSX, whatever, all will be welcome.

Loads of hardware and software is thrown away every year because people can't be arsed to put it on Fleabay and pay seller's fees.

This is what we hope to tap into, think of a "car boot sale for the retro scene" and you get the idea.

Fleabay and the like just panders to traders and inflates the prices people will pay, we don't want that on our site and traders will have to be approved before they can promote themselves on then site.

Our killer brainchild is the Recycle Bin, where people can obtain stuff not wanted any more by others for just the cost of shipping, this is off-limits to traders and will be carefully monitored by the mods.

We are all pretty excited about this, please help us spread the word....

@ AlexJ

It seems to be a server bug, Zetr0 is working on it, we may move the server before we go fully live.

Merlin
    Last edited by Merlin; 26th November 2007 at 08:47.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just had a quick look at the site and looks good.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD