Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Note to self:

Downloads
    Uploads

Note to self:

Always remember to turn off the power if plugging in a mains lead into a psu, while holding the socket!
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by StuKeith View Post
    Always remember to turn off the power if plugging in a mains lead into a psu, while holding the socket!
    Nah! It's much more fun living on the edge.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, but it bloody hurts! My arm is still numb!!!
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Electricity roulette is always a buzz. I've done it many times and never learned the lesson yet. Besides it keeps you on your toes.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At least you know your heart is OK!

I've electrocuted myself a couple of times in the past. Once I was trying to get an Atari ST to work. The internal PSU was faulty with its circuit board having become bowed which had caused a dry joint issue. I tried straightening out the circuit board with a plastic bull dog clip, but when i switched the system on the board must have been pushed down too far as the board shorted out and a load of the capacitors exploded. Great fun to watch but it hurt!

The other was when i was trying to adjust the screen of an old monitor using the internal adjusters you get on the back of the tube. The monitor didn't have a case on it and I accidentally touched the metal harness. That really hurt! And I saw a huge blue spark!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    CRT monitors are a definite no, no when it comes to home repairs. Capacitors will make you go toasty. I've only been shocked about 5 times this year (Slow year) twice on a DVD twice off SCART sockets (God knows how as they hardly carry any current) and once off a PSU. Thing is there are people who pay to have experiances like that it some exclusive places.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had some small electric shocks by touching the metal part of the video recorders case, where a bit of paint had been chipped off, and also by touching a bit of wire in a scart cable. They were only small though and didn't hurt.

I also tend to get electric shocks from cars (silver ones mostly), but this hasn't happened for over a year.

I've never had an electric shock from a CRT though, even when messing with the little controls in the back of it. I did however, get a headache when it was switched on with the cover removed.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I've never had an electric shock from a CRT though, even when messing with the little controls in the back of it. I did however, get a headache when it was switched on with the cover removed.
    Strange. Did you have your head in it at the time??
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those huge magnets working on your brain, probably pulling the fluid towards it like the moon!

I've often felt slight electrical tingles from scart sockets, but that doesn't really count cause the current is so low. Just used to control channel switching.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got quite a tingle from an aerial lead once. Can't remember exactly what I was doing but it was while I was working in the TV shop and was tidying up all the messy cable trails. I think I was holding a lead from the telly and a lead from the aerial distribution set up in the palm of the same hand. It hurt a bit but in a weird 'warm' way.

Also got a biggie when I was taing off a metal light switch. I'd pulled all the fuses for the lights but this one was wired into a different ring. Luckily it had a breaker but **** me it hurt, right from one hand across the chest to the other. Could've been a LOT worse, I was quite shaken up. My wife (then GF at that time) laughed when she saw it happen until I shouted at her. I don't think she realised how serious it could've been, nor how much it hurt.