Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

HD and motherboard

Im considering to mount a 3,5 HD of 6,5GB internaly on my A1200, and i have a few questions: does the limit of 4gb aplies to the hole drive or the partition? (like is possible to have a 10gb drive divided into 4gb partitions??) , as i have some spare drives around (40gb , 80gb and a 6.5gb all 3,5''), if i partition it in Winuae i can have a boot partition of any size but on the real amiga its not like that?

Another thing, i have a non working board rev 1b (the cpu 68ec020 gets like burning and the graphic chip also gets hot, black screen, doesn't boot) is this worth keeping or does it have any use? (if only the cpu is broken will it work with a acelerator 68030 bipassing the 68ec020?)

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 4GB limit applies to the partition, so you can make as many 4GB partitions as you like.

There are file systems that you can use which get rid of the limit though, so you can have the partition as big as you want. I don't know what they're called though.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at this post, it was the same question:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=1161
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As FOL mentioned in the other topic, I think the limit is 4GB max, for the whole HD regardless of how many partitions you add. This is a limitation of the Fast File System used with Workbench. There are however a number of third party file systems you can use to format the harddrive to overcome this restriction. There will allow a HD of any size to be used with the Amiga.

Also Workbench 3.5 and above also have support for the larger HDs already built in.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So lets see if i understood, if i use winuae to partition it and then install wb 3.5 with a 6.5Gb real drive i can then use it in the real amiga 1200, the full 6.5gb?

Ops, i only have 3.0 roms and os 3.5 and 3.9 require 3.1 roms 40.xx. So i am limited to os 3.1 with a tird party file system.
    Last edited by JLPedro; 19th November 2007 at 20:38. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, with 3.0 roms you can't run 3.5 or higher. I will see if I can find my copy of the third party file system files for you and upload them if I find them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!