Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Grand Theft Horsie - First thoughts

Having just finished playing a marathon session of Grand Theft Horsie, I have to declare the following:

I HATE PLATFORM GAMES WITH A VENGEANCE!

There, got that off my chest. I can't fully explain what it was about platform games, but I just never liked them... Especially the iso-3D ones (apart from Get Dexter... Bouncing on a bed beneath a ceiling fan was so much fun!

However that is getting off on a tangent.

I would just like to say that, finally, i feel that the era of the next-gen consoles is finally upon us. And GTH is the first of the new breed of uber-game!

Just to stop any confusion, Grand Theft Horsie is my pet name for Assassin's Creed. and I would just like to say that I feel that it really is a wonderful experience.

The graphics are beautiful, not Heavenly Sword beautiful, but truly authentically beautiful. Very immersive, and seemingly well researched, the game's visual cornucopia is a wonder to behold. And it has every right to be proud of its looks. Certainly Ubisoft can be proud, and it shows in the fact that the television adverts showed actual in-game footage.

The sound is great, with passers-by commenting about your strange antics as you perform various antics, the guards chasing you across the city, hiding places to find and very surprising moments, and potentially hilarious moments.

Accidentally (on purpose) bumping into a guard standing on the egde of a cliff could have very interesting repurcussions. The crowds reacting the way they do to your actions and responding in a highly believable manner to your every move is a wonderful sensation.

It looks like a huge game, with lots to keep people going until GTA comes out, and certainly bodes very well for a new PoP game.

I would say more, but to do so would possibly give away the plot a little, and, more importantly, every word I type is time spent NOT playing the game.

If you got a PS3, I heartily recommend this. If you got a 360, then all I can say is that I imagine the game quality is on a par, and should also be high on your list of games worth trying.

Some of the graphic effects are a bit odd, and it is hard to know if it is a part of the game, or just an oddity with the game. Have only had one problem with the game freezing (well the action stopped, but you could still pan the camera round and the buttons responded...) but that is just the once, so hopefully it was just one of those moments (I tend to get them a lot with Tiger Woods 08). But other than that, the game is a superb advert for next-gen gaming (and not just next-gen graphics)

Overall score: 9.5/10
    This is not a signature

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just been over to the official AC website, and it seems like the freezing issue is quite a major bug.

On that thought, I would perhaps suggest waiting before buying this game, just in case UbiSoft screw us all over and not patch it.

Quite frankly, I am a little disappointed that it was not a one-off thing, but also somewhat pleased that it is not a problem with my PS3... Apparently the same thing happens on the 360.

Ho-hum, guess it pays to research!

That said, I still love the game ... maybe it's my BDSM side coming out!
    This is not a signature

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is great to know the game is a good as they promised. Sadly I was planning on buying the PC version, which is due out until 15th Feb next year, so will have to wait before I can play it. Unless I have purchased a PS3 before then that is.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oz just finished it on the 360 and encountered a major bug in the lats level which almost drove him mad.

First time, he tried to kill some archers, who did not respond at all, they didn't even turn around to face him, so he could kill them without any problems from behind. Then he moved on and fell through the roof. There was no hole, no gap, nothing. He fell TROUGH the roof and didn't stop falling before he was dead.

Second time he found another assassin just like him next to a big rock. When he approached the guy, he followed Oz' character and did the same thing as him. So Oz thought it was meant to be that way, perhaps some plot. But no way, he encountered some foot soldiers and they did not attack him. He could just walk past them, he began to fight them off, with no resistance, and also his alter ego fought, he did just the same movements than himself. After the fight, he jumped over a rock to continue, his alter ego stopped, was stuck, and Oz died again.

Third time he tried to hit his alter ego, but he hit back, as he did the same as himself. He tried to assassinate him, but instead, his alter ego assassinated him.

He then look on the net if someone had a similar problem, and there was a guy, who had exactly the same issues. And he said, if he looks back with the character, all the graphics are gone. Oz tried it out, and he had the same, standing before a huge chasm.

Then he tried again the day after, and then it worked. The place where he met the foot soldiers, there was a cutscene, which never came up the day before. And he was now able to finish the level and the game. Oz thinks that it is a heating problem, as his 360 was cold when he tried the day after.

But what can lead to such bugs when the console is hot?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Missing elements in a game can be caused by heat related problems. If the CPU and/or ram gets too hot the data can start to get corrupted so strange things start to happen within a game. It has happened to be before when I get a CPU and graphics card in a PC that were getting too hot.

One question though. Why is Oz buying the game on the 360, when he also has a PS3? He should be supporting the PS3, not the Xbox!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    He and a friend ordered the game in a shop here, and he ordered the special edition for the PS3 and his friend the special edition for the 360. The special edition is 80€ (normal one is 60€) and you get a figurine and other material.

So when the order arrived, they went to the shop, but the guy didn't order one for PS3 and one for 360, but 2 for the 360. I think the special edition for the PS3 will be released later. So he just bought the 360 special edition. Oz is a guy who can never wait, he is even tougher than me in such things. If he wants it, he buys it, whatever happens.

Same is as I told him why he didn't get a chipped 360, for 80€ more, he could at least d/l all his games. But again, he had the 360 hammered into his head, and when he was at the shop, he immediately bought it, and even the 20GB version, as they had no 120GB (premium or what is it called, the new one?), he just bought it right away instead of waiting.

I know that the waiting is the hardest part, but sometimes you have to make priorities.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it 360 Elite? The black one with HDMI added?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, but the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console version, which has only a 20GB HDD, don't know if it supports HDMI.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ugh. That is one ghastly colour, to be honest.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. Green and Orange. You could say it is retro in a gross 70's colour kind of way.