Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Pratchett

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry Pratchett

Anyone else read Making Money yet and if so what did you think? All i can say is you gatta love TP's timing (Northern Rock).
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I LOVE Terry Pratchett novels. Has to be one of my favourite writers and he isnt afraid of breaking the mold!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a fan too, but I've not read this latest one yet. I'm still a few books behind in the releases. I need to visit the library.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    As long as you've read Going Postal i'd recommend reading Making Money ASAP especially in todays banking climate.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up the hardback version for £9.59.
    Bargain.

Good book as well but as Buleste sas, read gGoing Postal first.
    Reading Soul Music again at the min.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been announced on Paul Kidby's web site that Terry Pratchett has a rare form of early onset Alzheimers.http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html. Don't worry the statement is an "I'm not dead" statement and he still has a few books in the pipeline. Make sure that with the next few books you get the first editions as an investment. Even better get them signed if you can. Sounds mercenary but i'm sure Mr Pratchett would see the funny side.

By the way i have a friend doing his masters in philosophy and he's going to try to use Granny Weatherwax for his inspiration.

On a slightly different thread i just found this T-shirt on Paul Kidby's site.Hex rules
    Last edited by Buleste; 13th December 2007 at 09:25. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm desperately in need of a new book to read. Currently, I'm waiting for the new 'A Song of Ice and Fire' book to come out, but at the rate it's going, I doubt it'll ever be released. And, seeing that its author is currently so old already, and has a rather non-healthy look to him, I'm rather pessimistic that he'll be able to finish the series before the guy dies of old age.

Maybe I'll give this Pratchett guy a try. Are these Discworld novels standalone stories, or is there some continuity in them? Do I need to start from the first one to be able to understand everything?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are stand alone books but if you get some of the later books you miss some of the in jokes. Problem is the first couple of books i think he is starting to get the world formed in his head but not quite. As a starter book i'd try Mort or Wierd Sisters but if you want to do it properly go for The Colour of Magic then Light Fantastic (These are the only two that actually follow on from each other).
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Grand.

Next time I'm in a bookstore, I'll check them out.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are recurring characters in the books though. For example, some books are about the witches, some are about the wizards, some are about the watchmen etc. and these do have a continuity within their own 'series' so to speak. The books themselves are still standalone stories, but the characters do evolve from book to book, so it pays off to read them in order that way. Wikipedia actually has an article dedicated to the reading order of the discworld books, so that can be a great help. Or you can read them all in the order they were published. That's what I did, and that works fine since that definitely follows the continuity that exists and you get a nice spread between the characters involved so you don't read about the same ones all the time.

And you're not the only one waiting seemingly forever for the Song of Ice and Fire books. Martin is sure taking his time with them. Not that I want him to rush out a poor product, but the many years he's taking with each book is really getting unbearable. This is easily the best series I've read, and I want to know how it continues before I forget what it was all about in the first place!