Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Contra 4, any good?

Hello all,

I am considering getting Contra 4 for my Nintendo DS, but I don't really have much experience with the Contra games.
    I have played Contra 3: The Alien Wars on the SNES emulator, and Contra: Hard Corps on a megadrive emulator but I found both games rather difficult because of the 'one hit and you're dead' gameplay.

Do any of you know if Contra 4 is fun for a beginner?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never played Contra 4 so can't say how good it is.

I'm a big fan of the very original Contra arcade game though, and of the home version. Did you know that the game was originally called Gryzor and later changed to Contra? Both versions of the game are identical other than the name and many home computer versions kept the original Gryzor name.

I first played the game, named as Gryzor, on my Amstrad CPC464 and it was a great version, showing just what the CPC was capable of. And I actually didn't realise it was also called Contra for some time because my local arcade also had the Gryzor version of the game cabinet. It was only a while later when i discovered Contra on other systems that I realised it was the same game.

At the time, the mix of side scrolling levels and "into the screen" sections was quite unique and the first time I saw the game being played by a friend on his ZX Spectrum I was instantly interested and hooked and had to buy the game for my CPC (which he was instantly envious of due to the huge difference in game graphics between the two versions. ).

The Contra games are definitely not easy, and as you say the one hit and you are dead gameplay can be annoying sometimes. But this is the structure of many games from the 80's and 90's, and like any good shoot 'em up you have to learn the levels to progress, so that you are positioning yourself before each event. I did complete both the arcade version of Contra and the home CPC version of Gryzor at the time, but I doubt I would get very far at all these days without practice.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I must've finished the NES version of Contra a billion times. That was one brilliant game. Always used the 30 extra lives cheat though, since I found it hard - even in co-op mode. All versions of Contra are known for being rather difficult, so I doubt part 4 will be any different.

You should watch Gamerankings for a while and see how Contra 4's reception is. There's only one review for it so far, but that one gave it 85%.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Sharingan,

That is a shame, I wished they had not eliminated the hit point system that was introduced in the Japanese version of Contra Hard Corps.
    They could have made it optional for those players who are still beginners at this series.

Hi Harrison,

Yeah I knew that the first Contra was known as Gryzor in Japan and probably the US, when they were converting the game for European users they had to drop the Contra name because of the Contra movement in South America.
    So instead they replaced the main characters with robots.

What I do find an annoyance is that the whole restructuring of Contra/Gryzor/Probotector continued for a long time, 'fixing' the games to make them more appropriate for that continent's gamers.

In Contra: Hard Corps you would occasionally face human opponents, and in the end of the game you could choose to join the bad guy, this was all removed from the European game, probably because it isn't PC.

Well I will try to find more sources on it, I had hoped it would have been somewhat approachable for me as they offered it not to expensive on Ebay.

I have also been looking for info on Alien VS Predator Requiem; the game, but I now have read that game is suffering from the same problems most movie conversions suffer of; rushed development.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]