Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Assault

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played the 2 Freespace games and have to agree that they are really great, although I haven't finished the 2nd one yet.

I also bought Tachyon:The Fringe for low price some years ago, but I never installed or played it. Does anyone know if it's good?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got that game too and have also never installed it! I bought up all the space games I'd missed on the PC a couple of years ago and am still slowly going through playing them. I've read some reviews of Tachyon: The Fringe and it is meant to be pretty good.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Is Star Assault really that bad?
    I was considering getting it for a friend of mine who is a bit of a space game nut.

Not sure if he has Tachyon: The Fringe.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It definitely isn't very good. It feels more like a homebrew game than a full commercial release.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is an interest quote taken from the marketing for Star Assault:

Space, the final frontier...

The intro from a famous tv-series could also describe Star Assault - which is a perfect mixture between Wing Commander and Battlestar Galactica.

The story-based single player mode offers the player to accomplish breathtaking missions and tasks. Between the different missions he spends most of the time on a space station or a carrier equipping his space craft with lasers, rockets, shields or different propulsions. The player can choose out of a large variety of ships. Each ship varies in terms of weaponry and flight quality. The force feedback support greatly improves a realistic and stunning experience.
    Surely I must have been playing a completely different game? I much check... nope, definitely says Star Assault, and the screenshots match. Not sure what game they are describing, but I don't think whoever wrote that has actually played the game this is meant for.

If any of you really want to see some screenshots then have a look at the official site: http://www.star-assault.com/en/index.html

I also noticed their press page is blank! I wonder why.

Am I being too harsh about this game? After all we don't actually see that many space games released each year. I will give it another play just to see if I was in a negative mood the first time, but i suspect I wasn't. Also if I can't even get through the basic first mission easily without blowing up how hard must the rest of the missions be?