Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you cook?

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you cook?

And are you any good at it?

I'm afraid my cooking skills are limited to making fried eggs, omelettes, simple fried noodle/rice dishes and pasta bolognese (obviously, with ready-made sauce!). Oh, I'm not so bad at chicken/curry rice either.

I wish I were better at cooking though, since it's quite fun. The problem is that I'm usually rather chaotic by nature, and when you have food sizzling in 2-3 frying pans at the same time, being chaotic is kind of a BAD thing.

Let's hear about your kitchen disasters.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can cook and am OK at it. I can cook pretty much anything by following a recipe, and can cook things like a roast dinner without any problem. I also like to cook curries and such.

Most disasters I have when cooking is a tendency to over cook and burn things. Other than that nothing to bad has ever gone wrong.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know a good accountant who can cook books. TASTY.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The topics are kind a strange lately.... cooking skils ?!?!

Well,
    i dont cook so many times, but i can do:
    - fantastic codfish in oven (Portugal is the biggest consumer of codfish in the world!!)
    - magnificent lasagna (verdi/fiorentina and bolognesi)
    - 5 or 6 types of pasta
    - and some other meat and fish dishes...
    - i am learning to do some soups also.

But i dont do it a lot, most of the times i go eat in my father's or mother's or girlfriend's house.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    The topics are kind a strange lately.... cooking skils ?!?!

Well, this IS the "Off Topic" forum, so anything goes

And yeah, if I ever visit Portugal, I really want to try some seafood dishes there. Portugal is quite famed for its seafood!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the fish dishes in Portugal similar to those in Spain? I know of the main dishes in Spain but not really anything about local Portuguese dishes.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if you have to pick the most similar foods to Portuguese food...

first would be
    Brazilian
    then
    Spain, Italy and France.

Portuguese food is excellent, not because i am Portuguese ok? I can easy say that for many things we are the worst in the world, but not for food.

Probably the best in the world. But you have to get a litle away from the major cities, go to the interior.... and them....OMG...

Seafood of course it must be in seaside. One of the best lobsters in the world is from
    Sagres village in top south of Portugal in Algarve, in the most left part, the most far away point from UK... it's just superb !!!

One of the major reasons that we have great food is basic ingrediants like olive oil.
    We avoid to cook with vegetal oils or butters or that kind of sh.. we have the best olive oil in europe, and that is the basic ingrediant.
    Wines are also excelent, like Spain/France/Italy it's really good.

But Harrison, it's much better then Spain...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the feeling you would say it was so much better than Spain.

BTW, something I want to ask that I would be interested to know. Do the Portuguese like spicy food? My girlfriend has had many Spanish students live with her over the years and they have all hated any kind of spicy food, even mildly spicy things. And they would never go near a curry or sausage meat, unless it was chorizo. So I was wondering if it was similar with the Portuguese as the two countries do share a similar love for sea food.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tradicionaly our food is not spicy, but there are a lot o f people that put some spicy condiments in food, but is just to give a bit of flavour not to be spicy.

But if you want spicy... we lurn learn some technics when we where at war in Africa in Mocambique...the locals had a special spicy condiment.
    That do it with pepper (the red one), vinager, olive oil, and one white drink similar to vodka, but stronger.... they do it in a bottle and then they lay it down in the sun, for some hours.... the result is like Napal in your mouth... i only try it once... just a small drop, and i cry like a baby for 20 minutes... people from mocambique and Angola eat that think a lot... they say it is good for sexual performance.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If by cook you mean 'pour contents of bag in kettle and add water' then yes, I'm good at it.

Seriously, I can and usually do make decent basic meals as in boiling potatoes and vegetables, mix up a sauce and fry something to go with it. But hardly ever do anything fancy.