Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Difference between Bubble + and Bubble Ghost?

Does anyone know the story behind the two games Bubble Plus (or Bubble +) and Bubble Ghost.

Both games seem to have exactly the same development team, but are published by different companies. And when you compare the two side by side the sprites look very similar and you instantly notice the Bubble in the logo is an identical font.

Also take a look at these two screenshots:

Notice how similar both of these screenshots are? Everything in this screen is laid out exactly the same, except made to look different.

Anyone know why?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The lower one has somewhat poorer graphics but is otherwise the same. I bet the lower one is a shareware or early edition that the developer released himself, while the upper is an updated version released once he found a publisher to release it proper.

Just guesswork of course, but that happened more than once. With Twintris too, for example.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true regarding the graphics, but I did some further searching and it seems both versions were published by Infogrammes. The lower one two years before the other. Strange that a publisher would release a game and then improve the graphics and release it again two years later. Very odd.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That is true regarding the graphics, but I did some further searching and it seems both versions were published by Infogrammes. The lower one two years before the other. Strange that a publisher would release a game and then improve the graphics and release it again two years later. Very odd.

Isn't that what EA do all the time???
    This is not a signature

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, in all seriousness, wasn't it because Bubble+ was 16 bit only, whereas Bubble Ghost was for the 8-bit machines primarily.
    This is not a signature

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was actually thinking about this and calling it Bubble+ would indicate it as an enhanced version of the original. Much like later when AGA versions of games were released years after the original OCS versions.

Would be interesting to find out more about this though. I will have to do some searching and see if they is any information about this game and its development anywhere.