Thread: OS/2

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OS/2

Did anyone ever use the IBM/Microsoft OS, OS/2 and then OS/2 Warp (version 3)?

I remember reading a lot about it during its development in the late 80's and it was hyped, even by Microsoft, as the next great OS. But then Windows 3 took off in a big way and OS/2 just never went anywhere.

But IBM continued its development even after Microsoft abandoned it to concentrate on Windows and it continued to be developed right up to 2001 with the release of OS/2 Warp 4.52. And another company has been selling it since under the name eComStation with a new version 2.0 due for release this year.

It could even run most Windows 3 and DOS software at the time, and had the advantage with DOS programs of being able to run them in a closed environment so if they crashed, unlike a PC running DOS at the time, OS/2 wouldn't crash with it.

But I always wondered why. It was never really a popular OS in any shape or form. I've never seen it running (just screenshots) and I've never known anyone who has used it. Have you used it? Or seen it running?

About the closest I've come is when setting up a PC and normally seeing an OS/2 support option in the BIOS settings to limit ram to make a system compatible for OS/2 to run.

According to the Wiki entry it is used in a few large commercial sectors to control automated teller machines (cash points) and the French Rail Networks ticket machines. Plus some voice mail systems. So I suppose it has been used commercially with some success.

I've always been interested in trying it out just to see what it is like, so am going to try and find a copy and install it using Virtual PC as that directly supports it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing i remember was that OS2 was very good in multitasking. And it was one of his strongest features.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We still have it on our IBM hardware management console at work, and is used to fiddle around with the mainframe's hardware. Mainly we use it to IPL the system.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So IBM related systems are still using it to some extent then.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used it. I've only seen screenshots of it. I wouldn't mind using it though.

I never heard of OS/2 being used for things like cash machines etc, but I did once see a photograph of a cash machine that was running windows 2000 and had an error on the screen (I don't know whether it was real or not).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    OS/2 has been updated a company sells it. it now called EcomStation it also very pricey.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember seeing adverts for it, but that's about it.