Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

X-Amiga beta release is available now!

I've been waiting for this for ages!

http://xamiga.net/index.html

X-Amiga has been released - a BETA download of an emulated Classic Amiga environment for standard PCs, all thanks to Amir Ansari (Fractallyte) who put the pack together in an easy-to-install ISO image.

Why is it special? Well, this is a very lite Linux distribution that only contains the required files to boot a PC directly into an emulated Amiga and Workbench environment (default is AmigaSYS I think).

Of course, this isn't the first of these kinds of packs, but this one sounds like it's building up to be the best.

I haven't tried it yet, but just imagine being able to use cheap PC hardware to boot directly into a Classic Amiga environment, with classic games and software compatibility. You can turn your aging PC into a nice Classic Amiga!

The main downside will be how mature the Linux version of UAE is, as it's bound to not be as polished or easy to use as WinUAE. Still, I hold high hopes for this project moving forwards.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is really great news!!
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This does look like a very interesting project. I'm going to test this beta later and see how good it is.

I've also now added this to the news section on the main site as it will be of great interest to a lot of classic Amiga fans. Most have an old spare PC they could use for this.

I may even be tempted to buy a CatWeasel controller if the support for it proves to work well with this project. Can you test this out DC and let us know?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hm, seems like a lot of work. I would also have to partition my HD which is only 2GB. And as that PC is well configured to work with the Catweasel, I don't want to screw everything up.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What about using a Virtual Machine such as VirtualBox to test it out? You only need a 40MB virtual HD to get it working.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You never let lose, I should know that. Perhaps I'll try it next week, as I don't have the patience to test this after 22h this week.

So if I'm right, you boot directly in an Amiga environment and you use your Catweasel as Amiga floppy drive?

And I don't know if Virtual Box supports the Catweasel drivers.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, not when you are the only one here with a CatWeasel

I think Virtual Box has direct hardware access to all hardware in the host PC so it should work.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... I've just been trying to get X-Amiga to work but so far no luck.

I didn't want to install it on a real PC until the final version is out, so just to give it a try I setup a new virtual machine using VirtualBox. The install ISO booted fine and I gave the GUI environment on the disc a try which is very nicely done as it has the look and feel of Workbench, but with Linux tools. And I proceeded with the X-Amiga install. I partitioned the virtual HD, setup everything and proceeded with the install. This all seemed to go smoothly, but then I got stuck. It completed the install and then asked if I wished to setup the Amiga files, which I did. But it wouldn't accept any of the kickstart roms I tried to load in.

This is therefore where I've got to at the moment. I will try some more later.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the FAQ:
    Why is the display flickering?

It's a 'feature' ;-) The refresh rate is hard-set to 60Hz, so X-Amiga is currently suitable only for LCD monitors.

?? ??
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I noticed that one too. Maybe he just hasn't got around to that part of the development yet. Would be quite annoying for any CRT monitor owners though, although it does add a certain extra "retro" element to the package.