Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feeling left behind on popular culture

Hello all,

A bit of a strange topic to open, but its something I feel and there aren't many people around me which I can really discuss it with.

I don't know really how to start, all these years I have always considered myself something of a fan of various cultures; science fiction, comics, cartoons, you name it.
    And while I didn't check out everything that was is popular I always thought I had something of a general knowledge on the various subjects.

But these days I feel more and more left behind, as if I am in some race to catch up with other people but never really seem to make it, and in some ways I find it very frustrating.

In a way I can't make my own 'character' other than 'the average guy with psychological problems', not as an individual that stands out in some way, and I truly dislike it.

While I have chosen 'popular culture' (which does vary) as the topic, to me the feeling of being behind also applies in general.
    Is this perhaps caused by depression?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... Well they do say that once you realise you are out of touch with popular culture, you are getting old!

About the only area I find myself unable to relate to is the current top 40 singles charts these days. I start to realise I sound like my parents when I state "Most of the music in the charts is rubbish and isn't proper music". But, actually I don't think I am out of touch with music. I actually think the current pop charts are full of complete crap! Who else agrees?

As for who you are and what defines you. Only you know who you are, what you like, and what you want from life. Sometimes it can be hard to define such things in life, and often most people just go along with everyone else and what the current trends are. Personally I've never been one of those, instead just buying what I personally like, and doing what I want to do in life. It's too short to be railroaded into other's ideologies in my view.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually think the current pop charts are full of complete crap! Who else agrees?
    You have my blessing

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Top 40 music is poor for these days.
    Nothing to do with getting old.
    Not enough bands doing their own work.
    Too many manufactured groups making good money by relying on looks and the teeny bopper market, than musical ability.

I always do what please me an not the crowd.
    I still use an Amiga as my main machine.
    Virtually an individual these days.

Don't worry about anyone else and just look after yourself.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heck, I'm out of touch with just about everything, and I don't even mind. There used to be a time I forced myself to do things I don't really like (listening to hardcore/gabba music, going to raves, generally doing things that other people also did at the time), simply because I was afraid of being left behind, but that time is way past me. There is more to life than trying to conform to what others perceive as 'ideal' - I can decide for myself what's important to pursue and what's a waste of my time.

Obviously, top 40 music is a big waste of time. Beatles FTW!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Sharingan.
    I also did many things to not be left behind, but not now, i dont give a sh..

and you have to realise that, if you think in a different way or have a different taste from other 100 people, doesnt mean that you are wrong. You could be right and those 100 be completely wrong...
    Act as yourself but feel free to ask for a advice. That advice will not be the law, it's just an opinion.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm...not left behind no...I set the trends man! Lol. Na, I don't listen to new music that much as most of it sounds like they pulled a garbled tape out of the bin and lay some new lyrics on it...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forget worrying about stuff like that man - all great minds have original personalities. If everyone was the same then it would be boring as hell. I dont mind if I dont fit in everywhere cos thats just me - some people think im nuts and some people think im boring so it just goes to show you that you cant please everyone. If that sort of thing drives you then you will burn yourself out very quickly. I try to do things differently from everyone else because I like originality - the idea of being the same as every other creep bores me. Sack that!
    It sounds like you may have other things playing on your mind and this is just the latest thing, the one that has really got you down. You should spend some time with friends and family and talk to them about what it is thats bothering you. If you do feel really down then go to the doc - theres no shame in seeking help even if that means you get a short course of anti-depressants. That what these folk are there for - a bit of help when you need it!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally would never resort to taking anti-depressants as they just cover up the underlying issues they are being taken for, and can lead to even more problems such as addition to the drugs. The actual problems have to be faced full on eventually, so the drugs are just delaying the inevitable.

But, back on subject, I don't think it is worth worrying about being a part of popular culture or "fitting in", or equally trying to be different. You either are an individual, who is unique and different, or you fit into a stereotypical group. Either way it doesn't really matter as long as what you like doing with your life gives you enjoyment. And there is the answer. Figure out what you enjoy doing, and then just do it and enjoy yourself. Obviously that doesn't include anything illegal such as murder, rape, robbery etc... but I hope you get the drift.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Popular culture never left me behind. I left it behind...

..only problem is I have gone almost full circle and am only now starting to catch up with it again!
    This is not a signature