Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power XL Floppy

Downloads
    Uploads

Power XL Floppy

Has anyone got one of these, or know what it looks like?

I was about to stick this one on ebay, then I noticed the power computing logo on the drive!

It got me thinking if this was a power XL drive.

:thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a PC XL drive, but it doesn't look like the one you have there. My XL drive has a completely metal case and and is plain without the Power Computing Logo on the case.

I do also have a standard external Amiga Power Computing drive with the X Copy compatible hardware built in and it looks identical to that one you have.

But I just saw on amiga.org that you tested it and it did read HD floppies, so it might be an earlier one. If you need the drivers disk for the drive let me know and I will do you an ADF of the disk.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a XL drive like the one in the photo. I'm sure i've still got the advert for it somewhere.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much did you pay for your one originally? I'm sure mine cost over £100 back in the day. I have the original box in the loft so may even still have the receipt with it.

BTW, Stu, that drive looks like it's been to the gulf war or something. What happened to it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    How much did you pay for your one originally? I'm sure mine cost over £100 back in the day. I have the original box in the loft so may even still have the receipt with it.

BTW, Stu, that drive looks like it's been to the gulf war or something. What happened to it?
    Not sure, got it in a job lot of amiga stuff! Ive had it for over a year now and didnt even know it was one, was about to stick it on ebay and then noticed the logo!

Taken the case off to paint it, and the controller board says HDAmiga on the chip!
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Not sure. It was a gift, and I didn't really have all that much of an idea about the concept of money at the time. I just saw it as the solution to me and my dad's problem of having to swap disks millions of times in order to start a race on Geoff Crammond's F1GP.

If I can find the advert, that might give a clue.

EDIT:And here we go:

Going slightly off-topic, how far away is the hardware section on the main site? It would be really useful to be able to start to catalogue these things for future reference.
    Last edited by AlexJ; 5th November 2007 at 21:33. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well there we go. I thought it was around the £100 mark. Mad now to think I once paid that much for a floppy disk drive!

As for the Hardware section, I am still working on it, but hopefully it will be up and running in the next couple of months. I have some work to do on the main site code first and then some more on the hardware section templates, but that should only take a couple of days work at most. I will post more details closer to the time.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a couple of shots of my Power Computing XL drive, so you can all see the difference.

As you can see the drive looks very different to the one Stu has (and the one in the advert).

My drive pictured here was produced after the original plastic one and has a completely plain metal case, and you can also see that it also doesn't have the two switches on the back..

The original plastic one looks identical to my Power Computing 880B Floppy Drive, including the two switches on the back that are for selecting the built in X-Copy Cyclone compatible disk copying hardware. This was one reason I didn't think it was an XL drive as I don't think they have this copying hardware in them, just the 880B 880K models did.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Hello

I got a mysterious floppy drive from Ebay.

It was called "Blitzcopy floppy HD floppy" in the Ebay offer..

So I got the hardware and the drive is working as normal (DD) but I´m not able to use the hidden special features of this drive because I do not have the software "Blitzcopy".

Does anybody here knows something about this mystious Soft and Hardware ?

I´m really interested to try out the missing Blitzcopy software.

If someone could help me I would be very grateful.

Here are some picutures of the hardware.
    The drive has an ON/OFF/Auto switch.

I got two driver disks from an other person for the Power Computing XL drive.
    I tried the driver 1.32 and 1.3 but I was unable to read or write any HD disk.

So what do I have here ? Is it just a DD drive ?
    Is the Auto switch really for Cyclone/X-copy ?
    I thought there must be a software called Blitzcopy but I could not find it.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just noticed on the underside of the PCB it says Powerdrive which to me sounds as though it's just an extra floppy and cannot read/write HD floppies. Can't find any info on it so i may be wrong.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD