Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

How old were you when you learned to drive?

If you can drive, how old were you when you learned to drive, and did you find it hard?

I will be able to start learning to drive in a few months, but I don't really want to. I might have a go in a few years time, but not yet. I think I would find it quite difficult.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I applied for my licence before my 17th birthday so I could go out on my first lesson just a few days after.

I took about 26 hours of lessons before passing. I decided to go totally for lessons with an instructor rather than pick up my parents bad habits.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I learnt when I was 20 and passed first time just after my 21st birthday. I had about 20 lessons that were 1.5 hours each, and I had these twice a week, so about 30 hours in total. So I learnt and passed in about 10 weeks.

As for how hard it was, I didn't find it hard at all. Before my first lesson my Dad took me out a few times into the New Forest to an abandoned WWII Air Field called Stoney Cross so I could get used to controlling the car properly and reversing. So when I had my first lesson I didn't need to waste time learning the basics of clutch control, gear changes, steering etc...

And once I passed my Dad gave me his old Austin Metro 1.3L which was OK for a first car, but not a good car to drive by any means. 3 months later I part exchanged it for a Peugeot 405.

I didn't bother learning before then as I couldn't afford the lessons or to run a car, plus I had a free bus pass into Southampton for college so it seemed pointless to spend money on driving at the time. But when I left college I took a year out before starting a design foundation course, so decided it would be good to learn to drive (as I would no longer have a free bus pass the following year). Plus I was coming into some inheritance money at 21 so would then be able to afford a decent car.

I think the best time to learn to drive is when you actually need to be able to drive a car. I don't see the point in learning to drive without any real need. If you have affordable and reliable public transport where you live then there is little point. Only once you have a job that requires you to travel somewhere without easy public transport, or you start to do something that requires being able to carry a lot of stuff. Just learning to drive for the sake of it always seemed a bit pointless to me, although now I couldn't imagine not being able to drive as I would feel restricted as I love driving.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was 21 and had about 11 lessons before my 1st test. Failed that cos of my stupidity. Had another 5 lessons and sat my 2nd test. Failed that cos of someone elses stupidity. Had another lesson, sat my 3rd test and passed it no bother. The most important thing is being confident and not getting too disheartened if you fail! You can always sit it again. It does help if you actually want to drive too - if not I imagine that it will be a very nerve wreaking experience. Just think about all the opportunities being able to drive opens up and that ferrari that one day your going to be able to buy - that should give you some motivation!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't learnt to drive, because the Stig doesnt do lessons!
    This is not a signature

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My parents keep telling me that I should learn to drive as early as possible as it will be harder to learn to drive if I was older. I can't really see the point though.

Public transport here is very good but some places can be quite awkward. A journey which I went on took about 2 hours on public transport (2 busses), but on the way back, I went part of the way in a car which took 10 minutes, and the remaining bus journey was about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't mind having a go at driving, but I think I would be quite scared of driving on anything other than small/quiet roads.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is the point of lessons. To build up your confidence. The thing that worries people the most is controlling the car and that is really the main point of learning to drive. To teach you how to control a car correctly, and what to do on the road. The Driving test is just to show that you can control a car alone and have good observation on the road. You actually learn to drive after you pass your test and are finally out in the car driving on your own.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could always learn to drive an automatic. I know an auto test means you can't drive a manual, but I believe that over half the people on the roads today would be better suited driving a car with a slushbox. If driving doesn't appeal to you as an enjoyable experience then why trouble yourself with a clutch and gears?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only past my test last November, at the age of 26! I have however been driving since I was 14.

I mostly used motorbikes as my form of transport, and then when the family came along Reliants.

But the time came that I needed to beable to legally drive real cars.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So you did have a motorbike licence then? Just not a car one.