Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

More PSU Trouble

Hi Guys

I got another PSU today from ebay for my A500. It is one of the really heavy one's which out puts at 5V 4.3A. When I tried it. It did the same thing as the last I bought. The amiga come's on the power light and caps lock are red but the kick start does not appear. I took the psu apart and it had a large crack in the circuit board. I take it that the psu is at fault again?

Thanks

slicer1000
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe, although as some power is reaching the Amiga it could be something else.

What happens on screen when you turn the system on? The different full coloured screens mean different things.

There are many but here are the main ones:

• Dark Grey: The hardware test has been completed OK, and the registers are readable.
    • Light Grey: The software side has passed.
    • White: The initialisation is correct and the system is ready to boot.
    If there is something wrong with your system you may see the following colours.
    • Red: An error was found in the ROM.
    • Green: An error was found in Chip ram.
    • Blue: An error was found in the custom chips.
    • Yellow: The CPU has found an error before the error trapping software (Guru) has been activated.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Harrison

The screen is white as if the kickstart is about to appear. It just never does.

The only thing my A500 had was a flashing caps lock but this never effect the machine in the past. It would just disable the keyboard.

http://www.geocities.com/shining3master/circut2.jpg

the gold line shows the crack in the psu

thanks
    slicer1000
    Last edited by slicer1000; 27th October 2007 at 17:52.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried the PSUs with another A500?

On the subject of A500 PSUs, mine doesn't power the Amiga at all

Downloads
    Uploads
    No the only other amiga I have is a A1200. The First PSU I got I did test on my a500 and another in the shop I got it from it did the same on both.

The light's came on but no kickstart appeared. The thing is part of the circuit board has been pushed forward making a very nasty crack in it.

I have had my fair share of evil bay today. I got a Flashback off it as well disk's 1&2 are corrupt! and I also got indiana jones and the fate of atlantis disk 3 & 10 have read/write error's to say I am not in a good mood is a understatement.

Do any amiga product's sold on ebay work or are they all just junk?????
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is quite easy to restore corrupt game disks. Get hold of the ADF files for the games, and you can easily write them back over the corrupt disks to get the disks back. As you have an A1200 that will be quite an easy process. If you want full details on what you need, and where to find the game ADFs send me a PM.

Regarding the PSUs, have you tried them with the A1200, and if the A1200 PSU works have you tried that with the A500? They do work with each other. In fact, the A500 PSU is much more powerful than the A1200 one so many people use them with an A1200 when they expand them with HDs and accelerator cards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi

Flashback has hard track error's on the disks so they are messed up and the disk doctor may fix indiana jones. I got round that fault any way.

As most of the adf's you can download are from pirate copy's they do not always work with the offical release as some change's where made to the game code. team 17 games are a prime example the pirate versions all had extra disk's to get past the protection on the offical disks

As I said in the last topic my A1200 has a A600 power supply something you said was a very bad idea to use on my A500. If I try the A500 psu on my A1200 can it cause any damage to it? As it has a very nasty crack on the circuit board and it goes across one of the gold connector's on the circuit board. The last thing I want to do is damage my A1200.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it would damage the A1200. But to be safe it might be better if you can get hold of a multimeter and measure the output coming from the PSU.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it would be best if I just return it to the seller. After all there should be no crack's in the power board.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True.

You could however try the A600 PSU from your A1200 with the A500. It won't do any harm being less powerful and will power an unexpanded A500 fine.