Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where's the best place to start looking for faults in an A500 PSU that doesn't work at all? I have checked the cable connections and the fuses and they are all OK.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a multimeter test the connection at the end you plug into the Amiga with the PSU plugged into the wall and switched on.

Next open it up and carefully look at the capacitors for signs of leakage. This can look like yellow or brown gunk around the bottom of the capacitor or coming out through the top where the X shape is. Another sign of dead capacitors is if the top of them is budging up, they should be completely flat. If any of them show these signs then the PSU is dead.

If those all look OK then see if you can smell any electrical burning smells inside the PSU. Is so then one of the capacitors or other parts has burnt out and it is dead. Failing that it could be a dry solder joint and this would require you to completely disassemble the PSU and carefully examine all of the joints and resolder any you think are suspect or cracked.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi

My a500 had a 512k upgrade making it one meg. will that be ok with my a600 psu I do not want to damage a working psu.

dry solder joint are quite hard to fix as that was the reason my first saturn packed up.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the A600 PSU will be fine with your A500. It won't break the PSU if it can't deliver enough power, the Amiga just won't work properly. But for a standard A500 with a 512K trapdoor expansion the A600 PSU should be OK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Harrison I tried the A600 it came on and powered up. It did the same thing as before them I put my hand on the keyboard and bingo up came the kick start.

So I tried a number of the games I had bought the other week which did not work on the A1200 and they all worked fine

I also tested the GVP A500-HD8+ hard drive I had bought and it works fine installed indiana jones on it and it run's faster and there is no disk swaping.

The only thing my A500 has is a fault with one of the 00 chip's as the capslock flashes and none of the keyboard will work. If I hold down keys on the board it will start to work again.

Also does work bench 1.3 have a show all command like 3.0 as once I install flashback on the HD you cannot see the folder in widows. you need to use cli commands to view it.

Is there any way I can fix this error more permently?

Thanks
    slicer1000
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The most common keyboard faults are due to the Amiga's two CIA chips on the motherboard. You could try swapping these two chips over and see if the keyboard then works correctly. If so one of the chips is damaged and you will need to get hold of some new ones.