Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I Use Ubuntu release 7 for PPC on an Ibook G4 1.2GHz and It's very smooth compared to OSX, easy to use and full of features, I likey very much
    :coffee: 9 hours and still rendering.....
    [IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/scottspikey/A2000mini.jpg[/IMG]

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Why do people keep saying Debian is difficult?

Seems to be working fine here so far with hardly any issues.
    I didn't say it was difficult, just that it was more difficult than Ubuntu. Subtle but important difference.

It also depends on what you want to do. As someone who doesn't play MP3s or videos much, you wouldn't notice the difference between trying to do it in Ubuntu and Debian.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't on about you saying it was difficult, but generally, people keep telling me it is more difficult than the others, including one of my teachers, who happens to keep mentioning a 'kedora'. He even mentioned it when KDE 3 was loading up on the SuSE system in college.

Also everyone seems to recomend Ubuntu over everything else for some reason.I'm not saying Ubuntu is bad (i'm sure it is very good), but I can't see why it is any better than Debian.

Anyway, I have Debain set up nicely here and I'm enjoying using it.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you actually gave Ubuntu a try there is no way you will ever know why so many people like it so much over most other distros. I was a firm Fedora fan for a few years until I installed Ubuntu. Now instead Ubuntu is my favourite, but with SUSE and Fedora still being better options in my view if a more complex setup is required.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used Deabian quite a bit this week and not had any problems with it. I have mostly used it for C related stuff which I have been typing into Nano and compiling with GCC. After doing a bit of reading on the internet I am quite tempted to use Linux for my college project as it seems it is easier to access the parallel port on Linux than it is on Windows NT.

I have also had a quick look into CAD programmes on Linux. Only things I really need to do is try and get access to all my disk drives and my laser and inkjet printers, none of which should be too difficult.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I have finally set up Ubuntu, my very first dabble in Linux, and I must say it took very little effort to get to grips with the interface, operating system layout, filesystem and power of the command line to get privileged tasks done.

I guess coming from an Amiga Workbench background and being used to writing scripts and using Shell really made it a painless transition.

I now have my main PC/Workstation running XP still, but beside it and hooked up to the same monitor is a mATX box quad booting -> DOS, Win98SE, Win2K and Ubuntu!!! First the Grub menu brings up Linux or Windows options, the second the standard Win2k/Win98 boot menu and if you select Win98 it then goes to a menu allowing DOS configurations also for DOS games! Madness!

The mATX box has a Athlon64 3200+, Radeon 8500 and sblive (dos sb16 compatible!). I'm using it as a backup internet machine, part time server and for old PC games, plus a few Linux OpenGL ones! With the Radeon 8500 3D acceleration is automatically installed in Ubuntu, but I do have a nvidia 6200A I could replace it with as I've heard nVidia drivers are better. Depends, I really like the Radeon and I think it's actually faster than the 6200A at higher resolutions due to its 128bit memory vs 64bit.

It's great fun. I suggest others who only have one machine get themselves a mATX rig and use some of those old parts you might have lying around as it gives you more options. The Athlon64 3200+ for example cost me £14, the motherboard £10, both brand new, such is the popularity of dual core! The rest of the parts were gathering dust in a cupboard. Plus now I get to use both video connectors on my monitor. Dual core? Nah - dual computer is the way!
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I quite agree. Dual computers is a great setup to have. Network them together and you have a great environment as you can set one up to be doing something and then get one with doing something else on the other one.

Is also good to see you managed to get into Ubuntu quickly. It is definitely the smoothest and best setup Distro at the moment IMO, and is very easy to install and get started with. And with your PC spec it is worth exploring some of the advanced features you can install. Some of my favourites are the visual additions, such as being able to move around the virtual desktops on a cube, or move the windows around and they flutter and ripple as you move them. Completely cosmetic and add no functionality to to the OS, but they look great and better than Vista or OSX.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Harrision I'll look into that. I love all the addons and being able to build up the kind of OS you want. It really feels like taking control back into our hands.

I can see me moving to Linux more and more in the future. Plus that and Win2K make great servers too.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison: Speaking of Linux, which is the basis for emulation of Uae I think,... have you ever used Uae for a Mac? Is it possible?
    Also, I have Ubuntu and I wonder how it can be used on this pc here with Amiga emulation. I have tried Amiga Forever but I couldn't mount the AF because I didn't know how nor do I understand enough computer-eze to do it from emails and forums...I'm a layman computer fan, since I use computers to draw , hence I have little time to study computers...any suggestions?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Ritty. Yes, you are right in thinking Amiga emulation on Linux is via UAE. If you are using Ubuntu or Fedora then you might be able to find the correct version of UAE for your version of Linux directly from the OS using it's package updates program.

As for the Mac, yes there are distros of Linux for the older PowerPC based Macs. And with the newer Intel Macs you can just use the same versions of Linux as the PC. Because an Intel Mac is basically a standard PC, but costing twice the price for the Apple logo!