Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Linux isn't really for gaming as most people use it for business, server or stability reasons. Direct X doesn't exist in Linux because it is a Microsoft and Windows technology, but OpenGL does, and this gets installed with supporting graphics card drivers in Linux.

Some PC games do have a Linux installer included with them, or available for download. The original Half Life and Quake for example. There are also lots of smaller games developed for Linux. Have a look at http://www.linuxgames.com/ for more information.

Also don't forget that there are also a lot of emulators available for Linux too, include the Linux version of UAE.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, UAE it wil be my priority.
    But i would like to test so linux FPS, just to see how they manage.
    Some years ago, it was quite difficult to put anything acceptable with good frame rate and good graphics in Mandrake.... i hope thing got better.
    Yes sure Linux is for work, not for games.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also install WINE, which then allows many PC games to run under Linux. Normally if a game supports OpenGL then it can be made to run using WINE.

BTW, two recent games that directly support Linux and have Linux installers are Doom 3 and Quake 4.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting thread. I like how more and more people are considering Linux. The spoken word is a powerful force and as easier front end distros become available Linux's free status is bound to grab more of the market.

Coming from Workbench, I've never been afraid of scripts and command prompts, but I just haven't had the will to learn a new operating system - yet.

XP will probably be my last Microsoft product, which I'll continue to use for older games and emulation. Vista really has no appeal to me whatsoever and Linux seems like the route I'll take.

Yes it'll be a steep learning curve, but it's good to be constantly learning new things and I think I'll enjoy the challenge, even though it'll be frustrating at times. It means taking control of my PC back form Microsoft and into my own hands, like it used to be.

As others have mentioned above, I'll start with dual boot, then slowly make the transition. Consoles cover my gaming needs now and Linux, with firefox, open office etc, really has the rest covered.

Here's to change!
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also try our most using a live CD, which you boot directly from. So you can give different Linux distros a try before you commit to installing one for real. I recommend Ubuntu for pure easy of install and use. It basically installs and works with little intervention from the user. Or if you want more features and great scope for expansion then go for Fedora, which I've also been using for a couple of years now. But Fedora is quite complex to begin with so I recommend Ubuntu to get started.

You can also get many PC applications and utilities to run in Linux including Microsoft Office using programs like Wine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Knopixx as my rescue cd for use on non booting pcs etc, to check the drives. And also to copy files to usb discs in the event of windows not loading.

This last month I have tried

Mandriva 2008
    Suse 10
    Fedora Core 8

I liked most of them, Suse gave me the most problems getting my wireless to work next to FC8 (Wep64) and M2008 was my easiest setup.

However non of them allowed me to access my windows server shares with ease and after 2-3 hours of trying to work it out, I gave up and went back to windows!
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To use Linux on a Windows network you need to run Samba. You can then create shares to all of your networked PC drives.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, Im happy with XP for now, so eventually when it goes kaput, I will prob make the switch to Linux too. Vista is just terrible
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vista is OK, but it is bloatware at it's worst. But the same was true of XP when it forst came out. Most PCs were underpowered to run it well and it used up too many system resources. The same is currently true of Vista, but in a year or two systems will have progressed enough to make a difference.

I do however think that a lot of tasks have been made more complicated or hidden in Vista compared to XP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Vista is OK, but it is bloatware at it's worst. But the same was true of XP when it forst came out. Most PCs were underpowered to run it well and it used up too many system resources. The same is currently true of Vista, but in a year or two systems will have progressed enough to make a difference.

I do however think that a lot of tasks have been made more complicated or hidden in Vista compared to XP.
    Ive made my XP system look like Vista, minus all the crap.

I have the theme, the sidebar and drive indicators installed.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]