Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You definitely should try the newest version of Ubuntu on your PC Steve. The download is a single CD ISO and that contains both the live CD and the full HD installer. And to install to the HD it boots into the live version with an installer icon on the disktop, so the install process is actually running from within itself. Quite a cool idea and it works much faster at installing than any other Linux distro I've tried so far. I can see why everyone like it so much.

It is quite a light setup with just the core set of popular applications and utilities, but everything is there for the standard desktop setup, including open office and GIMP. An average home user probably wouldn't need to add any other programs.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the newest version of Ubuntu (7.10) is very nice. No problems with driver support on my 3 year old PC. Synaptic is almost Playstation Store-like in being able to download and install software packages.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd rather just stick with Debian for now.

I just have to problem of haveing only one partiton, and Linux, Amithlon and Windows 3.1 are all competing to be installed on it, so I'm not sure which one to use.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just try Ubuntu from the CD. It loads as a Live CD so you don't need to install it or even use the PC HD. It's the best way to quickly have a play around with the OS and see if you like it.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well as you know, I installed Ubuntu on my PS3 and have played around with it a little, but nothing more than that. It was only something I wanted to try, and not for actually using for anything.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What did you think of Ubuntu as an OS?

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison:
    I installed yesterday the Ubunto 7.10 from CD.

i only manage to do it at 2nd try. In the 1st time i installed it and when he was finnishing, he try to access internet (update/verify something...) he give an error saying he could not access certain server (my wireless router has password), but i could do it later, and say reboot the system, but i wasn't able to do anything, he blocked the screen, ctrl-alt-del didnt work, i had to make a turn-off-on. He was not able to boot or do anything....
    so, i have to connect the laptop directly to cable to avoid password from router and install Ubumtu again, then he worked fine!

Know i want to now, where can i get good software, any site?
    What do you use as firewall and anti-virus?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A firewall is already installed as part of Ubuntu so you don't have to worry about that, and no known Virus infections exist for Linux, so currently you don't have anything to worry about. Can you see why people like Linux instead of Windows?

But if you did want a more advanced security setup them you could install clamAV & firestarter. Firestarter is a more advanced firewall than the built in Ubuntu one, but only install this if you really are worried about attacks. And clamAV is useful if you are going to link Linux to any WIndows systems as it will detect any infected Windows files, so while no virus exist for Linux and Ubuntu, if you download and Windows files using Linux you might want it installed to check them for viruses before you copy the files to Windows.

It is strange that you had such problems installing the OS. I installed it without it connected to the internet and it installed fine. It only asked for a network connection when I tried to enable something that required proper graphics card drivers and it needed to download them before it could enable the feature.

As for downloading additional software. The first place to look is on the Ubuntu site itself as they have a section dedicated to partner software companies who directly support the OS. And also have a look in the Ubuntu forums. They have many language sections include a Portuguese area which I think you will find useful.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also as you are just starting out with Ubuntu I highly recommend you visit http://ubuntuguide.org/

It has a great guide to the basics, as well as adding and configuring everything.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    well i do not need any special security so i will not put anything, if it has allready a firewall that's fine for me.

I will try to install the VMPLayer for Linux and use the image of XP i did last year....

I think i can used.... it was made on XP but i think VMPlayer in Linux will read it...

I am not playing a lot on PC, but for Linux do we need to do anything special to run games? Do linux have anything like opengl or Direct X that needs to be installed?

OD you know any good games for Linux?
    Last edited by Tiago; 14th December 2007 at 16:35. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    A500 - A600 - A1200