Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dune Generations

Did anyone know about this game?

It was being developed in 2001 by Cryo, but was then cancelled.

Looking at the trailer for the game it seems to have been a long way into development before it was canned.

Here is the trailer:

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/480034/...ations-trailer

Or can be downloaded from here.

There is also more information found on Wiki here.

This could have been really good.

BTW, has anyone else played Emperor: Battle of Dune? It's the best Dune RTS made to date and is much better than the original Dune 2 or Dune 2000, and uses a full 3D game engine similar to the later C&C engines. If you haven't then I highly recommend it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Hmm, quite some focus on space warfare by the looks of those screenshots, sort of a first as all warfare was usually planet based.

To be honest, I am not sure if this would have turned out that great if it had been completed, Cyro had a tendency to screw up promising games.
    All the RTS games were made by Westwood (the real Westwood, not the EA division)
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But, being released is better than not at all, and if they had released it maybe they wouldn't have gone into receivership soon after in 2002.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it looked pretty good. Too bad it never got released.

As for Emperor: Battle of Dune, I bought it years ago. Did play it for while as it was a good RTS. I had actually forgotten a bit about it until now, so thanks for reminding me. I might have a go with this game again soon!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The original Dune game (the one that was part adventure, part strategy) was developed by Cryo too, wasn't it? I thought that was a brilliant game, myself. It captured the atmosphere of the book quite well, and the music was excellent. Not that it followed the original storyline, mind you.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cryo did indeed create Dune. While later Cryo games never quite delivered, Dune was a great adventure game, and similar in feel to Captain Blood, another great game developed by the same team (before they formed Cryo).

None of the best Dune creations have followed the original story properly. The original film didn't either but it was still a great film.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was there ever any mentioning of Space Warfare in the books?
    With Interstellar Travel under the monopoly of the Navigator Guild that would probably be very hard.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]