Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Completely different technology. Light Gun games work with CRT screens because of how a CRT screen draws the image. The beam scans from the top to the bottom at a set speed, and when you use a light gun, the moment you fire at the screen the software does some clever stuff to measure where on screen you fired based on where the CRT scanning was at the moment you pressed the trigger.

There was a light gun designed to work with LCD screens which used two tracking cameras mounted above the TV, so they actually tracked the direction the gun you were holding was pointing, rather than having anything to do with the display itself. So similar to the Wii controls in a way. Not sure if it's still in development though.
    I remember having a big discussion with a friend at work and we were trying to work out how lightguns worked before we looked on the internet and found out. It's so deceptively simple - basically just a light sensor and a clever bit of programming. Very neat.

The Wiimote actually works kind of the other way round, the camera is in the wiimote and the 'sensor bar' (bit of a misnomer) is essentially just some IR bulbs - the pointer on screen moves relatively to where the wii mote is 'seeing' the IR bulbs. You can also use candles or regular light fittings spaced out to control the pointer.

Didn't the Steel Battalion controller require assembly too?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell me about it my nes,saturn,playstation1,2 are all useless on 100hz LCD tv's samba de amiga has a longer box than SB there are also two versions of the sb controller v1 has green button's v2 has blue button and slightly tighter controls.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always wanted to get hold of the Samba de amigo controls but they were so rare, and on ebay they were selling for over £100.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!