Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

K240, who all played it?

Hello all,

Recently I have been going through space games again after I acquired an old PC space shooter named Halcyon Sun, next to space shooters, space strategy games also used to be quite popular and the Amiga had several good ones.

K240, the sequel to Utopia, was pretty well received by the magazines and it later got a sequel or a remake for the PC called Fragile Alliance (its a sort of sequel as the manual mentions the fall of the Empire that previously ruled Terran space and its replacement by the Federation).
    I picked up that games some years ago for cheap in a bargain bin but at the time I never played it. (I was into action games by then).

Are there any people on this forum who played K240?
    Please tell about your experience.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've played it quite a bit. Kind of felt obliged to, since Utopia, the spiritual prequel, was one of my favourite city-building games.

I found K240 to be quite innovative, and simply put, a lot of fun. My copy was a bit bugged, though, and would crash for seemingly no good reason. Hence, I never got that far in the game.

If my memory serves me right, the harder opponents were batshit insane.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also played the game a lot when it came out. I remember how much it was given coverage in the preview sections of all Amiga magazines, with a demo included on most coverdisks which I played till I nearly wore the disk out waiting for the final game to be released.

As Sharingan said, it was quite innovative for it's time and great fun to play. I've not played it for a few years but I expect it is still just as good.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys,

Could you both tell me what the building and the combat segment was like?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been a while, so I don't remember the specific details.

Building isn't so much unlike all the other city building games out there. There's the mining rigs, storage depots, defensive turrets and ship construction yards you can build. Much like Mega-lo-Mania, it's a race between you and your opponent as to who can acquire the most resources as quickly as possible. So, apart from building up a colony at the starting asteroid, you can send out ships to colonize other asteroids as well.

To succeed, you have to strike a good balance between colonizing and building up fleets. Concentrate too much on spending money to colonize, and you might find the opponent with a massive force of ships you can't hope to withstand. Focus too much on shipbuilding, and you run the risk of depleting your stash of ores more quickly than your mining rigs can gather them. Some opponents are more aggressive than others, so it's important to always know what they're up to.

The combat part isn't as interactive as what we're used to nowadays. Again, like Mega-lo-Mania, it's a matter of forming armies (you can make several fleets that you can command separately) and sending them to the enemy asteroids. While there, combat takes place automatically. You can follow the battle and see your ships wreaking havoc, but you can't take control of any specific ship.

That's basically the gist of it. Sounds simple enough, but it was a very addictive formula

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved this game... i actaully completed it back in the day.... expansion on more astroids was the key... and to get to them quickly...

there was a subtle irony last year when my brother came over for retro gaming and curry night, only for me to go "yeah yeah yeah K20 is Fantastic!!!....." so after firing it up.... it was then i realised i had completely forgotten how to play it!!!!

LMAO did i get ripped....

its a great game that would be wonder full if translated into 3d as well as multiplayer!!!
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is always quite a shock. Booting up an old favourite you used to play religiously, in which you knew all the little details and tricks, and discovering you can't even remember the controls!

And I agree. It would make for a great update into a 3D sequel or remake. Many recent 3D RTS games have mod kits so someone could easily use an existing game engine to build a fan remake.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    its a great game that would be wonder full if translated into 3d as well as multiplayer!!!
    Did you ever play the sequel "Fragile Alliance" on the PC?

K240 was brilliant. I played it loads. Even more fun with the cheats enabled as you could get access to all the technology and different types of missiles much quicker. The virus-spreading one was awesome - firing it off to an alien asteroid, then just watching as it slowly blew up everything on there.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    Did you ever play the sequel "Fragile Alliance" on the PC?
    Alas, i was unaware of its existence

is it available for dosbox or win98 ?
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day