Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

That rare obscure game that was never released

Hello all,

Perhaps once in a while going through a game or a magazine you suddenly recall the memory of a game that was in development years ago that caught your interest.
    It wasn't perhaps a good game but you definitely wanted to have a look at it or read a review about it.

But the it disappeared into development hell or the company went bust before it was finished.
    And sometimes you even forgot its name

Once in a while I had this with an old game I read in a Amiga magazine years ago, it was a sort of Gauntlet/Alien Breed style overhead shooter and though it wasn't that incredible looking I was still curious about it.

With the online Amiga magazines I recently discovered I have finally managed to find the name of this game; it was called Malfunction and it was developed by Digital Illusions, known for their pinball games at the time and later of course the Battlefield games.

On the scan I read it was going to more than just a shooter, it would also have had adventure elements, making it more involving.

Its sad that it never got finished for some reason.

Do any of you have similar experiences?

Edit:

This was a similar case, but for the PC

http://www.thecomputershow.com/compu...s/creation.htm
    Last edited by Ghost; 16th October 2007 at 04:16. Reason: Additional, mistake
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't for the life of me remember a cancelled Amiga project that I would've liked to see right now, but as for games on other platforms, I was rather disappointed when Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance III went bye-bye. I definitely would've liked to see that one.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is not either an obscure or rare game, but The Fall: Last Days of Gaia. I waited a long time for the English version of this RPG, but it was (after what I know) never released. I've given up on it, and haven't checked for it for a long time. Actually, I'll have a look now just for fun.

Right.. the official homepage is down, so that's not good news. Seems like an English version was never released.

Another title I remember waiting for was Lost Eden for the CD32. There was a lot of writing about the game in various Amiga mags at the time and there were even screenshots posted. Sadly this game never made it to the Amiga.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also waited a long time for The Fall, but I think only the German version was ever released. I wonder if any fans will eventually translate it?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Could you transfer this to the general topic thread, I think that just the Amiga alone is limited.
    People probably have games for dozens of machines they really looked forwards too.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Play Ring of Red! It's awsome!!!1
    I played Ring of Red a lot, it's indeed a good game.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also played Ring of Red a lot when it came out. It was a great game, with the combat quite different in style and control to most other games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I imagine that's why the 360 sold loads...

Lots of Ring of Red fans buying one because they heard 'it comes with a free ring of red!.

Hyuk hyuk!

Seriously, never played the game, although I saw it a couple of times and thought about it, but I also did the same with a few other games and regretted NOT getting them (mind you, there are others that I regretted getting)
    This is not a signature