Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth getting?

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Worth getting?

Hello all,

Never really asked this before online, I am considering of buying a couple of Amiga games for my collection in time but I am not really sure if they are worth it or that I should simply stick to the downloaded versions.

What is your opinion about the following games;

The First Samurai
    The Second Samurai
    Desert Strike
    Uridium 2
    Exile (AGA version)

Its mostly for the fun of having these games.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is always nice to have the originals of favourite games. Even though you can play the games via downloaded versions it is never quite the same.

And most Amiga games are not worth much so you should be able to find them for a couple of euros each.

The only two you might have trouble finding are Uridium 2 and Exile AGA as they were hard to find in stores even when they were new.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

(Boy, I am really late posting this)

Actually some of these games are still rather expensive on Ebay, apparently there is quite a collectors' market, or I am being ripped off.

Problem is, in most cases I don't have much of a choice as some are only barely ever offered, especially in a good condition.
    So then I have to decide "Geeh, would this be nice for my collection or should I save up for when a game finally comes along."

You wouldn't believe the mess I had to get a copy of Starflight 2, one copy was even lost on the mail, after I had paid for.
    That some money I will never see again
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Collecting anything is never easy. Over the years collecting Star Wars items, I've spent a long time tracking down items and finally obtaining them, and the same for video games. When I was collecting all known PSX RPGs some of them were really hard to find and the prices varied a lot. It is definitely worth doing your homework and seeing exactly how rare something is as sellers can just be unrealistic and think their items for sale are worth more that they really are.

And I've also lost items in the post which is worse than not finding them for sale in the first place. One game I purchased from America never arrived and I had been searching for that for months. I did eventually find another copy but it was annoying, and it wasn't cheap either.

BTW, I have originals of all of the games you listed, and may have a duplicate of one of two of them. I will check and if I do then I would gladly sell them to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Harrison,

Would you know of any comparison lists in which you could find realistic prices for games for sale, or should I ask in the forum when I think I have found a good offer?

Also, it doesn't have any hurry Harrison

I always enter 'collection' mood when there is not a good current game for sale on the moment, and on the moment I have three good new ones to look forwards too.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of the mentioned games, I've played all except Exile. I'd say the two 'Samurai' games are definitely worth having ... both brilliant fun, good graphics and quite lengthy. Desert Strike is good fun as well.

I don't remember much of Uridium though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of the games I would say Exile is the best, so if you haven't played it yet Sharingan I recommend you give it a play. Its a platform adventure game that draws ideas from earlier platform style games, as well as jetpack and jet set willy, and is a remake of an Acorn BBC Micro game. The AGA version is much rarer that the ECS version.

Uridium 2 is a very fast scrolling above view shoot 'em up that is the sequel to the famous C64 original. I remember when it was previewed in all the magazines they went mad for the game as most were fans of the original, and they weren't disappointed.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I enjoyed Uridium a lot on the C64, as other Braybrook games like Paradroid and Alleykat. A bit tough though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.
    As I told Harrison, its always a bit difficult to decide how much to collect when you are a fan of something.
    While my experience with the Amiga is slightly more limited than your own I still remember playing various fun games on it at my nephew's home.

Its probably from those memories that I have decided to collect some Amiga games though its not the idea of recreating that time as that is impossible.

Still I also want to make sure that I have money left for the good releases of today and of course other things, that is why I want to be careful with what I really want to purchase.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a quick search on ebay for these games to see how rare they are and what prices were being asked.

Desert Strike is available from between £0.50 and £1.99, and Uridium 2 is available too for £1.00, so as you can see most Amiga games are very cheap, practically free!

I couldn't find The First Samurai, and I wasn't surprised because that is quite a rare game these days. There are copies of the SNES version for £6.99 though.

The Second Samurai is being sold, with a start price of £9.99 so that shows it's rarer. The one I found for sale also looked in very good condition.

The only game I couldn't find at all was Exile, and I didn't think I would as it is very rare.