Thread: Dodgy PSU??

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Dodgy PSU??

Hi Guys

I went to one of my local shops today and the owner had a amiga a500+ in. He could not get it to work. When he turn the power unit on the drive light came on but the kick start screen did not appear.

I assumed it was the a500+ a fault so I took the power unit home to test it and the same thing happened on my a500 the power light come on the screen goes white but the caps lock does not turn off and the kick start does not appear.

I took the unit apart and it look's fine on the inside bar a few cob webbs! on the inside. It is a a500 psu.

I would assume then that the PSU is at fault and that both the unit's are fine can any one confirm this?

As I do not want to try this psu with my a1200.

Thanks
    Slicer1000
    Last edited by slicer1000; 13th October 2007 at 15:18.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It definitely sounds like the PSU is the problem if it did exactly the same thing on a different A500. I'm guessing it isn't supplying enough power to actually allow the system to boot fully, and that could indicate some of the capacitors in the PSU are bad.

BTW, Stu is currently doing an PC to Amiga PSU conversion. Hopefully he will be able to post some pictures once it's complete as I think that will be very useful for Amiga owners as the systems get older.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Harrison

I had a feeling it might be something like that inside the PSU I noticed that one of the blue tower things inside the psu was wobbley.

It is a shame as I also got a a500-hd8+ from the same seller which I wanted to test.

Thanks
    slicer1000
    Last edited by slicer1000; 14th October 2007 at 13:07.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It definitely sounds like the PSU is the problem if it did exactly the same thing on a different A500. I'm guessing it isn't supplying enough power to actually allow the system to boot fully, and that could indicate some of the capacitors in the PSU are bad.

BTW, Stu is currently doing an PC to Amiga PSU conversion. Hopefully he will be able to post some pictures once it's complete as I think that will be very useful for Amiga owners as the systems get older.

Yes. almost finished! I just need to get hold of a dremal cutting disc to modify the a500 case. so hopfully strikes aside should have parts wed so be finished then.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]