Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

So looking forwards to Half Life 2 Episode 2

Hello all,

This isn't really news but it is one of things I am so looking forwards too and its also why I hated that September went so slowly.

In a couple of hours from now the game will be released on STEAM, allowing those who preloaded the game to finally play it.
    Unfortunate I don't have any online payment options so I will have to wait until the boxed versions.

This is a bit of an annoyance to me, the boxed version (The Orange Box) was supposed to come out this Friday but now it has been postponed to next week Friday.

I really am going to have to resist visiting Wikipedia in the coming week as I ruined the upcoming Metroid Prime 3 Corruption this way (I couldn't help it, Nintendo made us European fans for two months extra!) and I really want to enjoy Half Life 2 Episode 2 as it is intended.

Dammit, one more week.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You could always take the other route and play it before official release.

So as not to ruin it for you, all I will say is that it is much better than the first episode. Much longer and finally letter you leave the city behind and explore the outside. The new enemies are also much smarter and you can no longer just hide or take cover as they can track you and even work out where you are heading and get there before you, which can be quite a surprise.

You will definitely like Episode 2 once you finally get to play it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many half life 2 versions exists?
    I played some months ago Half life 2... i thing it was normal version. You now talk about episode 2.... there was an episode 1, or that was the normal game?
    the one i played was not as expansion pack, was the intire normal game. So that one the episode 2 is an expansion or new game ?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Tiago,

Well there is Half Life 2, the official sequel to Half Life 1, game of the year 1998.
    After that Valve started to make episodes (fancy names for expansions but the difference compared to Opposing Force and Blue Shift for HL1 is that you play Gordon Freeman in the Episodes).
    Episode 1 was released last year (sadly a couple of weeks after my mom's passing ), and today Half Life 2 Episode 2 is released on STEAM.

There is also going to be a boxed version called the Orange Box that includes HL2, HL2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Portal (a puzzle game) and Team Fortress 2.
    This was supposed to be released two days after Episode 2 on STEAM but someone screwed up and seeing as Electronic Arts is the distributer I blame them.

Okay you probably have the question; why would people who have Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 1 buy a boxed version that also includes the two games they already have.

Well there was to be a Black Box edition too that only included Episode 2 and Portal but for some reason (probably to make more money) that one got cancelled and now you have to pay the full price for a package that might include two games you already have.

Valve claims to compensate this by allowing you to give away the activation codes for Half Life 2 and Episode 1 to friends who can download the games from STEAM for free.

Hope that clears things up

Hello Harrison,

It would probably be best if I contacted you privately, there might be snooping Valve eyes around.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so the game i played was Half life 2 ("no episode")

so now i can play
    Half life 2 episode 1
    Half life 2 episode 2

Is there a sequel in game story? Do i need to play episode 1 to understand episode 2?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Tiago,

Yes there is, the actions of Half Life 2 directly influence the events in Episode 1 and so on.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so i better play episode 1 before 2.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    In your case I would suggest that you get the Orange Box, then you have all the games.

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    To any interested PS3 or 360 users the Orange box will be released for them on
    PS3 - November 16, 2007
    360 - October 19, 2007
    Looks like another PS3 game thats been delayed over the 360 version. Not that I could care really - warhawk will keep me going until the 19th Nov!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's hope the console versions won't be crappy ports, as we've seen so often.

And Ghost, I can relate to ruining a game's experience by looking them up through sites like Wikipedia and IGN. It's funny how the eyes can catch the biggest spoilers even when you're quickly skimming over the text looking for the information you DO want to see.

Other places you might want to avoid are message boards relating to the game. Never know when some asshole thinks it's funny to post a topic named 'AERIS DIES! HAHAHAHA!', or something to that effect (I'm assuming that everyone has already played FFVII by now )