Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I was just lucky with the player pairing, and ended up with a couple of nubs

After only one game played, I already know what I hate most about CoD4 online: opponents with shotguns. Damn them all.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He He. Shotguns are great when YOU have one, and horrible when you don't, and that goes for any game. They remove the need for any accurate aiming at close range. Still, great fun with a shotgun only multiplayer match.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, that sounds like a good game, considering I finished R:FOM. I'm loving FPS.

My first go online was 11 kills / 16 deaths, but after that I've been getting better....finished in the top three a couple times
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    RIGHT. I can feel me going off on one here...
    This last weekend the PS3 became possibly the best console ever. Let me explain -
    Firmware 2.0.
    This amazing little upgrade allows you to customise your x media bar and allows a hole heaps of extra options on the viewing of pictures and playing of music. So what I hear you say? Well let me tell you. You may have read my little post about the qualities of SACD in comparison to CD's or DVDA so you'll know how highly I rate this audio format. The problem with the PS3's SACD playback is that the bandwith required to carry an audio signal of its size cannot be squeezed into an optical cable, which unless you have an amp that takes a HDMI 1.3 connection is the defacto connection used to connect your ps3 to your amp. The only cables that can carry this signal are multi audio in cables (5 cables, one for each speaker), which the PS3 does not have a connection for, or the forementioned HDMI 1.3. So get yourself an amp that takes an HDMI 1.3 input you may think. The fact they are not commonly available and start at £2k may put you off. I for one was dissapointed in this because it means that Sony are making their SACD format hard to attain and it means very few people will experience it. Well no more! Firmware 2.0 has a little known of update that compresses a SACD signal to DTS 3.2 and sends it to the correct speakers! SACD is back and available to the masses! The quality is not as good as dedicated SACD because of the compression but its still far superior to CD and DVDA. I spent last night listenting to Depeche Mode and War of the Worlds with my daughter - we loved it! So if anyone has a SACD and a PS3 then load them up and enjoy!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great news. The one thing I always though has been great with Sony is their dedication to the technology they create. Even when it isn't the mainstream format they will still continue to improve and develop until they can't go on any longer. Look at Minidisc for example, or the PSP and the number of improvements made to its firmware since launch.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Firmware 2.01 out now. Get it while it's hot.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just finished the first playthrough of Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and what can I say ... it's worth every penny. What a blast it's been, from start to finish. Fun storyline, great one-liners, weird characters, surprising variety in gameplay, brilliant weapons, crazy gadgets, gobsmackingly good visuals/sounds and a zillion and one things to unlock.

Watching this game on a big HDTV is like an orgy of visual delight - if this is the promise of things to come on the PS3, we're looking at a very interesting future for the platform indeed.

Go on, do yourself a favour and give this game a try!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    NOT HAPPY!
    I just downloaded Firmware 2.1 for my PS3: Lo and Behold! The SACD multichannel over optical function has been removed - it now just plays in 2 channel stereo! SWINES!!!!!
    Heres a copy of the email I sent Sony on this:
    Hi

When I updated my PS3 to firmware 2.0 it was able to play SACD over the optical connection in multi channel stereo. I updated the firmware again and this feature has been removed. I am very unimpressed as I have bought various SACD's as the PS3 was able to play them.

Can you explain to me why this feature has been removed as it was very popular based upon forum posts on the net? Will it be coming back in the next firmware update?

The cynical may think this is a ploy to make people buy HDMI 1.3a compatible amps, it certainly seems funny that the Sony STR-DA5300ES is released that can take a HDMI1.3a input and this feature is pulled, just in time for Christmas! Your response is appreciated.

PS3 ID: Toomanymikes

I will keep you posted on what they have to say for themselves!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I very much doubt you'll get a straight answer, if you get an answer at all. Seems to me all companies answer such questions disambiguously like "there has been made no announcement but who knows, it might show up in some future update. In the meantime why not enjoy the other great features blahblahblah etc". Annoying, but that's usually how it is.

I don't think it's a ploy to get people to buy Sony amps though. What guarantee do they have that people will opt for Sony and not some other manufacturer? In fact, those who know a thing or two about amps (such as the ones who'd pointedly go for the HDMI-enabled ones this early) are more likely to not go for a Sony one in my opinion.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, but I thought I would add it in just to get a reaction! I was wanting to put something a little harsher in but they probably would have just deleted my email. Im actually thinking of picking up a Onkyo TX SR805 cos you can get them from America for about £280 cheaper than here. I may just wait till after christmas to see if the prices drop.