Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sony did do similar things with the previous two Playstations. The original PSX model had composite and left and right audio outputs on the back, then they revised it and removed them, leaving just the single multi video port. With owners then needing to buy the different cables for each connection type. And with the PS2, the slim PS2 lost the unused firewire port, and the internal HD expansion connector, but did gain an ethernet port.

I looked up the new model and according to some sites selling it, it has a matt instead of shiny finish, and 2 USB slots (so it hasn't lost them all). I assume we could use a USB card reader plugged into one of the USB slots to gain back the same card reading ability?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I don't however quite understand the PS3 logic or removing the USB and card slots. Don't you need memory cards to back up save game data? And if you don't have USB ports how would you charge the controllers up or connect a camera/external HD?
    Isn't it just less USB sockets?

EDIT: Yep, just the two USB sockets. Is it possible to use a hub to increase this number like on a PC?

As for the memory cards - is it possible an external card reader could be used instead if required?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, they're reducing them from four to two. But as I said earlier, two is not enough for my use. Or at least I'd have to frequently switch things around on them if there were only two on mine.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    EDIT: Yep, just the two USB sockets. Is it possible to use a hub to increase this number like on a PC?

As for the memory cards - is it possible an external card reader could be used instead if required?

As far as I know, and according to some people from other forums, any USB hub or USB hardware (such as mice, keyboards) will also be usable on the PS3.

On another note, Folklore has been spotted in a few shops already. Will probably be picking up a copy next week; going to write down some impressions then

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really? I haven't been paying attention to its releasedate, but I have it on preorder so if that's the case it should be in my mailbox when I get back home next week then. Looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just tried it and hubs and card readers work fine on the PS3. The only real loss then is the lack of PS2 compatibility (and the loss of SACD support, but that doesn't bother me)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know they were dropping SACD support too. I've personally never encountered a SACD audio disc, but according to the industry over 4,500 SACD discs have been released to date, with over half of those being classical music (to take advantage of the superior quality).

Seems strange with that many discs, and SACD being Sony's own technology that they would drop support.

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a dying breed of audio years ago never mind now. Saying that, its the best sound I have ever heard and it really dissapoints me that lesser quality codecs such as MP3 etc are becoming popular simply because of ease of transporting tracks. The acid test is listening to a song on mp3 then cd then SACD - The cd is always better than MP3 and the SACD makes the CD sound like a tape!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How does SACD compare to DVD Audio?

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    DVDAudio is sound carried through the DVD in the same way that movie soundtracks are so it can be compressed and played using different audio decoders such as Dolby Digital and DTS. As such its a fantastic sound medium but it lacks the subtleness and refinement of SACD. I bought Depeche Mode's Violator on Hybrid audio disk (Stereo and SACD so CD players can play it too) and it comes with a second disk tht contains a documentary and DVDA tracks of the album. Its amazing and a good rival to SACD, especailly as my PS3 cant play SACD because it requires a HDMI 1.3 compatible amp. A friend of mine is a manager at a Sony Centre and he brought over a SACD player and we hooked it up to may amp - SACD was defo the difinitive version to listen too. I would say for people that want to show off multi channel sound the DVDA would suffice but for Audiophiles SACD is the format of choice. I suppose it also comes down to your amp and speakers - if they arent up to much you wont get the benefit of SACD but if they are then the sound really stands out.
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]