Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is actually where Guild Wars is very different. The game is setup much like a traditional offline RPG with areas and regions of the gaming world where you can go on smaller quests, but main story based mission quests which have to be completed to get to the next area in the game and on the map. These quests are scripted and story driven with cut scenes, again just like an offline game and as you progress through the game you follow the story. This never changes and you can replay these main stories as often as you like to obtain secrets from them.

So as you play each of the main mission quests you get to see more of the game's story revealed and gain access to new areas in which you then get to do smaller quests to move the story on further.

Also character development is capped at level 20 which you hit after playing for maybe 20 hours at most for a first time player. After this your stats are fixed and it is just about the skills you pick and how good you are at using them in battle.

Unlike all other MMOs it isn't a case of grinding for money and experience to keep levelling up to become powerful enough to beat a boss. In Guild Wars its about team work with you supporting each other in combat and working together as a team because all character end up level 20 and are not more powerful than any other.

The only progression in terms of upgrading past level 20 is the purchasing of new skills, and the capturing of elite skills from specific boss monsters you have to hunt down and find within the gaming world.

It's very different and not really an MMO, more a multiplayer traditional RPG. This is the reason I like it so much. In total since it's launch I've played over 600 hours in the game until I got a bit bored, but I might go back at some point soon to play some more.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you got bored with it after only 600 hours, then it can't be all that bad

Maybe one day I could give it a go. Then again, there's so much other stuff I've got lying around, and so much stuff coming out soon, it isn't very likely I'll have any time until maybe the year 2012!

To get back on topic:

Houses are always bigger on the inside than they appear on the outside, oftentimes ridiculously so.

Guards, cops, soldiers, security forces or anyone that's supposed to uphold the peace and law are always useless. It always falls upon your party's shoulders to deal with any threat there might be.

The best opportunity to finish up any unfinished business, such as finding each party member's ultimate weapon, winning that rare collectible card and breeding that gold chocobo, is when a big-ass meteor is floating right above the planet, threatening to destroy all life.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are always really dangerous monsters roaming around right outside the entrance to small towns full of helpless (unarmed) people. An unwritten rule that monster never step over the entrance to a town.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry

Cute little girl/dog?
    Fit bird?
    Helpful jolly fatman on the street?

GET YOUR RETALLIATION IN FIRST.

Kill them all.
    They will all be outed as the demons in desguise that they are.
    Why wait?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's definitely always the cute little girls and innocent old women you have to watch!

Money can always be found under vegetation simply by hacking it up with your sword.

You always come across your first weapon just before you need to use it.

You always know how to use a weapon you have only just found!

The treasure chest you open always contains spells, potions or weapons powerful enough to upgrade your character enough to defeat the monsters you encounter just after.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It's definitely always the cute little girls and innocent old women you have to watch!
    As an addendum to this:

The golden rule is that vampires, seedy gangster figures and mass-murderers always turn out to be trustworthy allies. It's the kindly old women, innocent little children and friendly men of holy faith you have to be wary of!

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you stand still for any length of time somone will attack you. But dont worry, the more this happens the tougher you will get, to the point where a simple kick will send a mounted knight, his horse and the 12 foot soldiers he has for support into the next county.
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    High security prisons are notoriously easy to break out of - even those where no one in 500 years has ever been able to escape from. Almost always, something 'conveniently' happens, allowing the heroes to break free: an earthquake, a demon invasion ... you name it. What's more, any confiscated equipment belonging to the heroes can almost always be found neatly stashed away in the chamber next door, none of it hidden or locked away.

Even if the hero character is prophesied to eventually bring about the downfall of the bad guy, it never occurs to the bad guy to personally kill the hero right there and then when he is captured at some point in the story. Instead, he will entrust it upon his henchmen to dispose of the hero, who will, as a rule, always screw up, allowing the hero to escape.

The 'shortest route' always takes longer to traverse, because there's always an extra mean monster blocking the path.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shopkeepers instinctively know when you try selling something that is stolen!

You can take anything you want from a guild you are a member of and no-one will bat an eyelid.

You don't leave trails of water after you have been swimming, or catch colds.

When you walk around all your companions disappear, or if they don't, they walk behind you in a snake-like formation.
    This is not a signature

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It only takes a bed of flowers to break a 500+ metre fall.

Ever heard of a protagonist whose parent(s) weren't tragically and brutally killed when he/she was still a kid?

Empires are, as a rule, always evil.