Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the most expensive hardware you purchased?

Looking back over your Amiga years what was some of the most expensive hardware you purchased now that you think about it?

For me one that I remember well was a Power Computing external HD Floppy Disk Drive. I needed it so I could read and write disks between home and college/university and it cost me about £140. For a floppy disk drive!

And a 4MB A1200 trap door memory expansion cost me £179.99 and that was on special offer as part of an Amiga Format promotion too.

I will see if I can dig out the receipts for some of the other Amiga Hardware I purchased as I'm sure some of the other prices were equally mad when looking back on them compared with today.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    At my C64 beginnings, the blank 5¼ floppy discs from Elephant cost around 12€.

The Commodore 1541 floppy drive was 375€.

My Star NL10 printer was 500€, that was a 9 needles printer (do you call them like that?).

The 0.5MB expansion for the Amiga was 175€.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nearly right. We call them 9-pin printers. My first printer was also a 9-pin Star, but it was the Star LC10 Colour model. Really noisy and took forever to print a page. When the ink ribbons were new it did produce quite good results, but the ribbons did wear out quite quickly.

That 1541 floppy drive was really expensive! Works out at about £255. About the same price I paid for my A4000 (which came with 2 monitors, 8 floppy disk boxes, and tons of other stuff).

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never really had the money to spend on the Amiga when I first had on as I was still a kid but I do remember getting a 512k expansion for my Christmas at a whopping £100! Ridiculous!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never mind looking back - how about what's the most expensive Amiga hardware you can buy now!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220145591744

£1000 for an A4000T.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! You don't see many A4000T's coming up for sale anywhere. It is easily worth that because they are so rare.

BTW, what do you think the standard A4000 is now worth? I'm wondering how much mine is currently worth if I were to sell it. I was thinking the other day that I've only switched it on once in the past year as I tend to use one of my A1200's more.

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    Never mind looking back - how about what's the most expensive Amiga hardware you can buy now!!!

£1000 for an A4000T.
    I want, i want, buy it for me, .

I think devorce would be on the cards, if i bought any more Amiga stuff, lol.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is currently another A4000 selling on ebay, included with 2 A1200's and it's currently going for only £102, but I expect that to shoot up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160155194116

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post

£1000 for an A4000T.
    It's in Rotherham!

I could have borrowed it if I'd have known about this earlier!

I think the most expensive hardware I have bought will have been the Blizzard 1230 for £70.

I have seen used AmigaOnes selling for several hundreds of pounds, although I'm pretty sure an A1 G4 sold for £250 on buy it now. I will have to try and find the auction as I'm not sure.

Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320144621380

The guy who bought it sold his G3 for about £400 earlier.

I am still thinking about getting a PPC, and have some searches saved on ebay. Apparently the AmigaOnes are very fast compared to Blizzards, but I might just get a Blizzard to use with the A1200. I suppose it depends on what I can afford. I can't imagine I would use it for much.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That auction seemed like quite a bargain as it included the ram, replaced CPU cooler, graphics card, sound card, OS4 CD and more. I would have bought that had I seen it!

I've been tempted to build a PPC Amiga for some time now, but since hearing about the coldfire project I've been waiting as that is definitely the A1200 tower conversion I would wish to use (if it ever gets finished).