Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very tempted to buy a DS and flash cart soon now that so many RPGs are available for the system.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You won't regret it should you get one. However, there is a LOT of shit out for the DS too. But I trust that you would be able to tell that something called 'My Pony Club' wouldn't be for you.

I love my DS, although the other day my micro SD card in the M3 Simply wiped itself, taking a lot of save file with it, annoyingly. I will have to back it up more often, and maybe not mess about with the Action Replay features unless I know what i'm doing

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    ...I will have to back it up more often, and maybe not mess about with the Action Replay features unless I know what i'm doing
    whoops
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find it always great to have an AR to use, can really make life (game) easier.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heavenly Sword Ninja Theory

So I managed to pick up a copy of this game for relatively cheap, and here's some impressions from me.

Let me start by saying that Heavenly Sword's production values are top-notch. Rarely have I seen a package that simply oozes quality from beginning to end. Obviously, a lot of care has gone into making this title look, feel and sound like a thrilling blockbuster movie. The cinematography, dialogue, lip synching and facial expressions, both during FMV and in-game cutscenes, are absolutely breathtaking; under Andy Serkis' (who played Gollum in the LotR trilogy) supervision, Heavenly Sword's narrative and storytelling has become something you simply won't encounter in any other game so far released. You won't find any wooden or unnatural acting here ... every single character, each with their own distinct mannerisms, ranging from quirky to plain insane, has been lovingly motion-captured, animated and rendered. Similarly, the dialogue is exceptionally strong and voiced very, very well. From the moment I first saw the intro movie, to the moment I finished the second chapter, my jaw was hanging open, so engrossed was I.

I don't really think anyone can complain about Heavenly Sword's graphics, either. Barring some minor amounts of stutter and screen tearing, framerate remained steady, even with dozens and dozens of enemies on-screen. The landscapes and scenery are stunning to behold, and the character models move with such fluidity and grace, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were watching real people dance across the screen. The sound effects and music are top-notch as well; I'm really looking forward for some musical score to become available, for the orchestral soundtrack is something of a treat to listen to.

Two things most reviewers have been moaning about is the game's length, and the lack of variety in the gameplay. At 6-8 hours, yes, this game isn't going to last the average player very long. But then again, Halo 3's singleplayer mode supposedly can be blazed through in co-op mode in 4 to 5 hours (!), with Gears Of War being just as short, and everyone and their neighbour's pet dog has been showering THOSE games with perfect 10/10 scores, so this argument doesn't really cut it, in my opinion. If you're going to point out a major flaw in a game, a flaw enough to knock 20% off the score, then at least have the decency to be consistent in your reviewing policy.

After finishing the game once, you can still go back and try to get 'perfects' in all levels, which will unlock new combo moves, as well as artwork, movies and 'making of' featurettes. There's a Hell difficulty mode to try as well. All in all, I think that if you were to try to unlock everything, you could very easily get 25+ hours of game time out of this, plus a couple more just for seeing all the unlocked bonus goodies. More, if you simply want a quick killing fix, or just want to see the storyline again.

The repetitive gameplay argument can be construed as being more valid, I suppose. Let there be no mistake: HS *IS* all about hacking endless droves of enemy fodder to pieces, with the occasional sub-game (using cannons to destroy enemy catapults, sniping enemy troops with bowgun) to mix things up a bit. As such, this game will not be for everyone. If you're generally not into Dynasty Warrior-esque hack'em up style games, then chances are you won't like HS either. If, on the other hand, you do enjoy highly stylised fighting, and aren't overly concerned with 'doing the same thing over and over', there's quite a bit to be enjoyed here - thinking of more stylish ways of finishing off the enemies is one.

The boss fights in this game are a definite highlight, in my eyes. You'll just have to see them for yourself some time. They're definitely on par with what we've seen in the Metal Gear Solid series.

Closing comments: if you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to at least give this game a try. Rent it ... borrow it from a friend. Most important thing is to keep an open mind, and simply immerse yourself in the story. Enjoying the tale has been half the fun in my experience. It isn't a perfect game by any means - there's plenty of little things that could be improved - but Ninja Theory, the developers, really deserve kudos for pouring so much care and imagination into a video game. If you thought movies were the only entertainment medium capable of evoking emotions of this level, think again.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice little review. Once I have a PS3 I will definitely get the game. I do sometimes like a good hack and slash title just as much as a slow turn based and more complex RTS or RPG.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh, getting a PS3, yep yep on my to do list also
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Nice little review. Once I have a PS3 I will definitely get the game. I do sometimes like a good hack and slash title just as much as a slow turn based and more complex RTS or RPG.
    You better play through both of the God of War games, the Heavenly Sword demo is pain enough, after that your thumbs and fingers will hurt enough

Nice review

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Already played both the God of War games. Amazing games and really show the power that can be squeezed from a PS2. Great fast action and some amazing set pieces.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You finished them?