Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What were your favourite PD games?

What were/are some of your favourite Public Domain and Shareware Amiga games?

I probably used to play PD and shareware games just as much as I did commercial games on the Amiga and have a lot installed on my A4000 and A1200 HDs.

As with most people a couple of my favourites were Deluxe Galaga and Deluxe Pacman. I used to play though for hours.

I'm going to fire up my A4000 later and see what others I used to like and create a list. I'll also add some of them to the site database as we don't have many PD games in there yet.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never played PD games. In Luxembourg we had no magazines with software or such, we only had our swapping in the schoolyard. So I had commercial games all the time, never needed to get PD games or software. And I sold my Amiga in 1993, and I didn't have one for several years.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You missed out on some great games. I will do a list of my favourite PD games for you to try. Many PD games were of very high standard with some great gameplay that was on par with commercial releases.

I never played PD games because I couldn't afford commercial releases, but because they were games and available on the Amiga.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gravity Power, which came on an Amiga Power coverdisk, stands out in my mind. Lots of levels, lots of customisation options, and very addictive gameplay. It could've done well even as a commercial product, if the graphics were polished up a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Merv the Merciless, which came on issue one of Zero magazine. What a great game, with a clever little twist. (oh, and the Neighbours theme... but I wasn't letting that spoil my enjoyment of the game.)

By the way, on a slight side note. I located this site which may or may not have been covered in here before. It is called Amiga Magazine Rack, and it covers all the major (and some not-so-major) Amiga magazines published.
    This is not a signature

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A few of my favourites:

Deluxe Galaga
    Deluxe Pacman
    Gravity Force 2 (or the souped up version from Amiga Power: Gravity Power)
    M.A.S.H
    Damage (I think this was PD)

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by v85rawdeal View Post
    By the way, on a slight side note. I located this site which may or may not have been covered in here before. It is called Amiga Magazine Rack, and it covers all the major (and some not-so-major) Amiga magazines published.
    Yeah, I think most of us know about AMR and while better than anything else at the moment, when you look at it, there is actually only a small proportion of the magazines actually available (they quote 20,000 pages which at a conservative estimate of 100 pages per issue means there's 'just' 200 full issues worth on there - Amiga Format and Amiga Power alone had over 200 issues between them.)

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone remember the game on the front coverdisk of Zero, issue one?

MERV THE MERCILESS!!!

http://hol.abime.net/4765

Great game. Collect nosh and dosk, but don't let the chainsaw board kill you! Also enjoy a quick Neighbours theme tune sample if you walk over the icon!

Truly barmy game!

But fun.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The other problem with AMR is that they are not preserving the magazines in their entirety. Instead just including the gaming related pages. There was much more to the magazines that that. Productivity software, interviews, reviews, cheats, software tutorials and guides, and even the adverts are worth preserving. Most of which they have missed out.

When I do get time to work on the classicamiga magazine section and finally get it started our goal will be to offer scans of the full magazines from cover to cover so that Amiga fans can look at the complete magazine and everything it included.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harrison,

Do please make it so that the viewers can also select certain subjects if that is technical possible, for example if you choose only 'reviews' you only get the reviews of the magazine you have selected.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]