Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Installing Java games on mobile

My existing, quite old, Samsung E700 mobile finally broke last weekend. The phone sort of still works but the main display when you flip it open is screwed up and only sometimes shows the menu properly when opened partly at a funny angle. It's lasted a few years so I got my monies worth from it, and as I'm not that interested in 3G, Video Calling and Mobile Video I hadn't been that bothered with upgrading it (even though my GF has been moaning for ages that is was old and didn't do much!).

Anyway I popped into the local Orange shop and they had the Samsung Z400 on special offer, and while it does a lot more than I wanted (3G, video calling, MP3 playback etc...), at the price it was worth it as the basic models that looked rubbish and didn't do much were only £10 less.

They had none in stock though so I have to wait until Friday to pick one up.

So now what I was wondering. I have a load of mobile Java games that I downloaded recently and was wondering if anyone else has ever tried to install Java games locally onto their mobile? I've purchased Java games before now using WAP and downloaded them through the mobile which worked fine, but I need to know if anyone has tried installing Java games they "acquired" and if they got them to work?

On looking through a few sites it seems I can only install them via gprs, by using one of the free services that allow you to upload files, then access the files via the mobile to download and install them. A bit annoying, but if it works it will still be cheaper than actually purchasing and downloading the games properly.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It varies from phone to phone. You'll need to Google around a bit and find a guide on how to do it on your model. In my experience Nokia phones are quite easy and Motorola's are a pain in the arse. Not sure about Samsung but if I find anything, I'll let you know.

EDIT: Bad news I'm afraid. Only 'Dragonfly platform' Samsung phones have been hacked to allow games to be transferred without using GPRS. The Z400 uses the SHP platform, leaving GRPS as your only option. Pressure from the mobile networks on the handset maker I guess.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh well. That is a bit annoying but at least using GPRS it can be done. Better than not at all.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got the new mobile today, but I didn't get a Z400 in the end. It was still out of stock at all the shops I tried, so I ended up getting a Samsung E900. Really nice little phone with a nice loud volume so I might actually be able to hear the alarm on this one!

And doing some googling it appears that it is much easier to install games onto the E900. I can just copy them onto the phone via USB and then install them by typing a * code to access the java install menu on the phone (which I've already tried and it does access the menu correctly) and then select the jar file to install. Off now to try it out.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed a couple of java games on my Nokia (forgot the model number) a few years ago. I just downloaded them from WAP sites via GPRS as they were avaliable from those sites for free (I found them via Google). I don't know anything about paying for games.

But I hardly ever played games on the mobile phone anyway, and I havn't even used the mobile phone at all since about February (I just switched it on every couple of months to check for messages, and there were none).

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nokia's bundled software allows you to install Java game via. Cable or Bluetooth. I think you can even just plonk the file on the memory card through Windows Explorer and that'll work too.

But I hardly ever played games on the mobile phone anyway, and I havn't even used the mobile phone at all since about February (I just switched it on every couple of months to check for messages, and there were none).
    The network will disconnect you if you don't make a paid-for call, text or data service in (I think) 90 days.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Using the * code to bring up the Java install menu worked perfectly. Not all games I tried would install. I suppose they were not all compatible with my phone, but the rest installed perfectly and play fine. So I now currently have 40 games on my new phone and I've deleted the annoying try before you buy games it had included on it.

What is the point of them including some games on the phone and 1 minute after starting to play them they end with the message "Do you wish to purchase this game?" Pointless. The version of Lemmings it came with is really well ported though. Practically identical to the Amiga original, just smaller.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Nokia's bundled software allows you to install Java game via. Cable or Bluetooth. I think you can even just plonk the file on the memory card through Windows Explorer and that'll work too.

The network will disconnect you if you don't make a paid-for call, text or data service in (I think) 90 days.
    No it doesn't.

And this site doesn't work properly when zoomed into it.
    It stays between the blue bars even when zoomed in. Really annoying as I can't currently see what i am typing unless it goes onto the next line.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why are you zooming into the site? It isn't designed to be viewed at really low resolutions, although it does display correctly at 800x600 which is smaller than design standards need these days.

Use Opera if you want to zoom into a site as it does true zooming, not just enlarging the text and messing up layouts.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am using Opera (duh). I need to zoom into most things as I can't see them otherwise due to large distance between my eyes and the monitor.