Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Amiga video rgb to monitor vga --- 15khz ?

Hi,

If we convert to video RGB of the amiga to a monitor VGA signal,
    the monitor (pc) must have sync of 15khz ?????

this 15khz, is horizontal frequency?

I think most monitors (pc) have as minimum horizontal frequency around 30khz....

15...even 30... doesn't this frequency damage your eyes?

Do you think the image quality in VGA monitor will be better then a rgb2scart converter (tv)?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most Amiga screen resolutions are the standard TV 15Hz frequency and will not display on a PC VGA monitor, even if you tried to connect them as the VGA monitor cannot sync down low enough to show the images.

It is only possible to use a VGA monitor in some of the higher productivity and VGA modes available in Workbench 3. But when running any game on the Amiga it will switch back down to the 15Hz TV resolution and you won't be able to see it on the VGA monitor.

The best solution is an Amiga multisync monitor. This is what I use with my A1200 and it works perfectly, syncing down to 15Hz for games, and up to 31Hz for Workbench in higher modes.

An Amiga RGB to Scart lead will give you the best image quality on a standard TV set and can only be beaten by using a proper Amiga monitor. You can get a standard Commodore 1084S or Philips 15Hz Amiga monitor on ebay for as little as £10. I've used them for years on my Amigas and never had any eye strain.

The other method is to use a scan doubler/flicker fixer. This will double the scan rate output from the Amiga to twice the frequency, so 30Hz, and will allow most PC VGA monitors to then display games and other Amiga modes normally output at 15Hz. There is are external scan doublers available which can be used with the A1200 which connects between the monitor port and the monitor cable, but they are very expensive at about £80 and I've not seen anywhere selling them for a while. Amigakit was the last place I saw them.

Your best bet is to find a Microvitec 1438 Multisync monitor as that will allow you to display all modes the A1200 can output.

Failing that the other solution is to connect a TV up via the A1200's composite out for games, and a VGA monitor to the RGB port for higher resolution workbench modes and just switch between the two monitors.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes the amiga monitor should be goog, but it's quite big.... i have an old tft pc monitor and i would like to use it. 80£ for that converter is a lot of money...

If it's not a pc monitor, and i use a TVLCD with vga input? Should it be the same?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think VGA input on an LCD TV will work with 15kHz. There has been discussion about this over at amiga.org. However, you can use it's composite/RGB SCART for 15kHz and switch to VGA for the 30kHz pictures.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I agree with Stephen Coates on this one, but fortunately there are other alternatives as has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

I've actually been searching for a scan doubler myself during the last two weeks, but they are both expensive and hard to find. There should be one or two stores that has them available for sale, or maybe you can track down one through E-Bay. Sadly, the prices seems to be just as high there as in stores, due to the huge demand. Hope you'll manage to work something out.

However, I see that you write that an Amiga monitor is quite big. Well, you can get a 14" 1438S (I had one of these and it worked perfectly) and remove the foundation at the bottom of the screen. That will save you some space. Just have to mention that I have this problem as well, as I can't fit to screens on the desk, hence the need to connect the 1200 to the PC screen.

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take it no one seen my post on EAB.

I have a JVC LCD TV, using RGB on my Amiga to it, and in HighRes its perfect, no filcker at all, only flicker i get is when moving cursor and windows.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What model is the JVC TV? Could be useful for anyone interested.

I don't tend to visit EAB all that much.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    What model is the JVC TV? Could be useful for anyone interested.

I don't tend to visit EAB all that much.
    JVC LT-26C31-BJE
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]