Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

A1200 Ocs, Ecs, Aga

Can i change the mode (OCS, ECS, AGA) in A1200?

To run old games on A1200 is there any option to choose a compatible mode with OCS/ECS.

I never saw a 1200 working, so, it has the AGA mode -> only for monitor ?
    To plug to a standart TV i use the Aga? Or i use OCS/ECS? the output in A1200 is different? i' am comfuse

can anyone explain in a small resume "witch on i use and for what, and what can i connect with it?"
    thank you
    A500 - A600 - A1200

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most OCS games should work OK with the A1200. There is also a boot menu to disable some AGA features if the game doesn't run (hold both mouse buttons down while doing a hard reset).

AGA graphics will output on a regular PAL TV, there's the RF Modulator built in and composite video port like on the A600.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In addition there is an Amiga disk called ReLoKick 1.3. When you boot an A1200 using this disk it loads Kickstart 1.3 which will allow you to run some of the older OCS A500 games that won't normally run on the A1200.

But for most OCS and ECS games, if they won't run straight away when you try them, as Alex mentioned just hold down both mouse buttons when you switch on the Amiga and you will be taken to a boot menu. The option in this menu that gets most older games to run is "disable cache". Tick that and see if the game will then run.

AGA is just a higher specification chipset. It still outputs all of it's standard modes for the TV, but in higher quality 256 colour modes. It also supports so extra screen modes on TVs, as well as supporting higher resolution VGA monitors.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In addition to the above info, you can also use a program called "TUDE" to do the degrading but it might require a hard drive.

The best solution for classic games is running WHDload on that A1200, but you will require more than 2MB memory for most games and of course a hard drive.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good recommendation. Tude is a very useful Workbench based A1200 downgrader. You can setup a downgrade profile for each game you need to use it for, and when you want to run each game you can just click on the Tude game icon and it will set it up for you to run the game. From what I remember though it can be a bit complicated to get all the settings just right for some games. Definitely useful though.

And don't forget for WHDLoad you also need original games, not cracked versions. A lot of people these days are downloading cracked game adfs and converting them back to play on the Amiga and most of those won't work with WHDLoad.

BTW, welcome to the forum Bloodwych

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    BTW, welcome to the forum Bloodwych
    Thanks for the welcome! Just posted in the new members area and now frantically looking for topics to get my teeth into! LOL!
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench