Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Now onto memory. Extra (or fast) memory will mainly allow you to have unrestricted access to the best thing ever on the Amiga - WHDload. Check out the links here for a path to all the game packs done by Killer Gorilla:
    A direct link to Killa Gorillas packs is: http://www.guildserver.co.uk/kgwhd/whdload.php

If you do get some extra ram and an HD for the A1200 I highly recommend you try these out.

Higher CPU's than 68030 (68040/PPC) are more trouble than they're worth on A1200's as compatibility issues can surface.
    Unless you have money to afford a 68060. These are nearly as compatible as the 68030 (unlike the 040 which caused a lot of problems) and the 060 is a lot faster! You can even get a Blizzard card that comes with both a PPC and 68060 CPU on the same card so you have the best of both worlds. These are however rare and very expensive. I still want one though.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say, Compact Flash is awesome. Got my 4GB running nice now, without IDEFIX installed (compatability issues, dont know why, as it worked fine before). I just partitioned using OS3.9 Fastfile system, then used the atapi.device from idefix for my CDROM, works great.

I have to agree on the trapdoor upgrades, I found a great improvment, with just an 8MB simm. I now have an FPU, but I havent noticed much of a speed increase with it. Fastmem is the key, i think.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the FPU you have to be running software that has been written to take advantage of it. So more productivity software than games will see an improvement.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, those expensive 060/PPC cards make the A1200 into a beast! I think they're better left for towered machines or box Amiga's though as they must suck power (too much for the default PSU?) and produce a lot of heat for that tiny trapdoor.

Even with the 060, some WHDgames have small issues like speed/timing problems. Special tool types might have to be added in order to get a game to run reasonably well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the revision of A1200 motherboard plays a factor too - on some expansions beyond 68030 timing issues/bugs come into play on certain motherboard revisions.

I'd still stick with an 030 or the standard 020 for simplicity - everything works without any messing around and they're very well supported in WHDload.

As for FPU's, as Harrision says software has to have dedicated support. In the entertainment area, there are a few rare 3D games (like doom?) that make use of it and should be some impressive demos that use one too.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to everyone for the info!!
    A500 - A600 - A1200