Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just added Applewin, didn't have an AppleII emu installed yet?? Also added a nice Infocom emu called Frotz.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 5th January 2007 at 07:07.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried AppleII emulaton out a long time ago, but not since. That system was quite ahead of its time when for sale. I never saw one in the UK, but I know it was very popular in the US and has a lot of software and games.

It always reminds me of the first National Lampoon film for some reason because they are using an AppleII at the start of the film when he plots their road trip.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Applewin works fine, I played Mask of the Sun this morning, my favorite C64 adventure game at the time.

I just updated again with all the fruit machine emulation, hadn't installed that yet.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fruit machine emulation is strangely addictive. I've never been that interested in real fruit machines in pubs and shops, but the video game versions always get me hooked. Even the fruit machine games on Amiga had me playing for hours. Maybe it's because you can enjoy them without the worry of losing lots of actual money!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I tried AppleII ...

It always reminds me of the first National Lampoon film for some reason because they are using an AppleII at the start of the film when he plots their road trip.
    Ha! Yes, quality! That's the bit when the map is shoing the route they will take and the kids start chasing the car with pac-man and space invader like things using the joysticks. I love the National Lampoon's Vacation films.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehe.. the National Lampoon's Vacation films are quite cool! I remember Chevy Chase's kid in one of the movies asking another kid: "Do you have Asteroids?" and the kid answers something like "I dunno, my shit hasn't been that hard lately" Well, it is funny when you see it. Poor kid was thinking about the classic Asteroids game.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I cant stand the Lampoon movies....my dad loves it, but I just cant watch that stuff.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am slowly working on it at the moment, using the Japanese PSP as the system, but am also looking at getting another cheap PC to use as well.
    This is not a signature

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, I am quite tempted to do this. Not really keen on the cabinet, but having full sets would be awesome....would need a joystick like the ones they use in arcade games, thats they only piece of hardware I dont have. An if it was to be purely a gaming machine, I would probably buy a new laptop, would make it alot easier.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want an arcade quality joystick then there are too good standalone arcade controllers worth getting. These are called Hotrod and X-Arcade.

Both look very similar with two sets of controls (joystick + arcade buttons) and a player 1 and 2 button. I personally think the X-Arcade is better overall.

The Hotrod uses real arcade buttons and joysticks, and has 7 buttons for each player, plus the 1 and 2 player buttons and pinball buttons mounted on the sides towards the back (which can be hard to use). It's configuration is however fixed to its premapped key layout so the emulator either need so have direct support built in, or the ability to learn the hotrod's key map.

Unlike the Hotrod, the X-arcade uses it's own make of arcade sticks and buttons instead of real arcade conponents, but they feel just as good and are as well made and contructed. It also has an extra 8th fire button per player. The X-Arcade also has the advantage of fully programmable buttons that can be mapped to any keyboard key if needed, along with the ability to store a number of your own defined keymaps in its memory. WinUAE also has direct X-Arcade support built in, as does MAME. And The X-Arcade also has pinball buttons, but these are mounted on the sides towards the front and are much nicer to use than the Hotrods, and are great for playing Visual PinMAME and other pinball emulators.

http://www.x-arcade.com/

http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php

As well as a Slikstik classic controller I also have an X-Arcade controller and think it's great. I used it with my PCs when I don't have time to setup the full cabinet Slikstik controls and it is a great unit. Very strong and robust, small enough to store when not in use, but large enough for two players to comfortably use together.