Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you haven't tried any version of Linux before Teho, I recommend you try and find the PS3 version of Ubuntu as that is the most user friendly and easiest to use Linux distribution around at the moment.

Here is a guide: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...S3-52699.shtml

For installing emulators and most other applications on Linux, do remember that you may need to compile the source code first on the PS3 before installing it, as this is one of the more complex things about Linux. Most packages are the source code, so that they can be compiled to run on any version of Linux, and on any hardware platform. Not as user friendly as Windows, and sure to scare any Mac user for life, but much less restrictive.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting article. I think I'm going to try that. One thing mentioned in the comments there has got me thinking though. The article creator was asked to perform a speed-test using a particular command, and it came back with rather poor results. They surmise the reason to be that of the seven cores in the Cell, only one is a PPC processor while the rest are SPEs. So that test probably only ran on the one PPC core. This has me thinking that other apps, like E-UAE, will do the same unless specifically programmed to take advantage of the other Cell cores. So it may turn out to not be very fast at all before that happens.

But knowing the UAE community, that will probably happen. Maybe if a certain team responsible for a certain version for a certain handheld might be interested in the challenge?

I'm going to try it though. Am backing up the HD now and will download the Ubuntu ISO. Won't have time to do more tonight, but can probably look at it tomorrow.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great. Will be interesting to find out how it goes, and how well it performs.

Regarding performance, the Cell CPU works very differently to most CPUs and not like normal multicore CPUs where each core is a full processor. The Cell has the main PPE CPU that is based on 64-bit PPC but isn't the same as other existing PPC processors like the G5. But it does contain the PPC instruction set which is why PPC versions of Linux can be compiled to run on the PS3. But these will only utilise the main PPE CPU and not the SPE cells. A better compiler will be needed to arrange the code in a way to allow the PPE to do this, and I expect this could take some time to happen, if at all.

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ermmm, missed this post, .

Well, you would be better off asking the current author of E-UAE. If your going to try the latest WIP4, then i would advise against it, as it has alot of bugs (bug fix release isnt ready yet). This is the reason PSPUAE is still on WIP3. Try WIP3 first.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I've been having a lot of "fun" today. I've managed to install Ubuntu on my PS3, though not without some difficulties. And I've managed to test E-UAE on it, also not without some difficulties. That is, once I'd launched E-UAE it was running fine, it was getting to that point which was a little painful.

First off, that article linked to earlier skips the entire installation process of Ubuntu, which didn't help much. There were a couple of things I would've liked to know, such as why the hell the installation constantly froze at 15%. More than a little annoying, as each time you have to reboot the system from the CD which takes ages, and running the OS from the CD while installing is very slow. In the end, I found another guide which mentioned this, and detailed what to do to avoid it. Namely, shut down all non-essential processes and services to free up all system resources. This was also very fun and time-consuming, considering that shutting down some of the processes will bring the entire OS down, and when it comes back up everything you've stopped has started up again! Aarrgh!

After a lot of trial and error there though, finally the installation succeeded. So now it was time to get E-UAE running. Easy to get the files over to the PS3 right? Just transfer them across the local network, right?

Eh.. no. I've literally struggled for hours to get Ubuntu to communicate with my XP box, without success. The nearest I got was that Ubuntu did actually see itself and the XP machine on the network, but only spat an error when trying to connect to it. The XP machine never once found Ubuntu on the network at all, but had no problems connecting to itself over the network. Ubuntu connects to the internet well enough (am actually posting this through that right now), so I've no idea at the moment why it wouldn't work. (I did use the right protocols and firewall settings as far as I can tell). So in the end I ended up using my external HD to transfer over some files to test with. But am still bloody annoyed that I couldn't get that to work.

Once done though, E-UAE ran just fine. Relatively. I did use the WIP4 version, as I couldn't see the WIP3 anywhere on the homepage. And it kept crashing on me. First I was running a demo and thought I'd open the system monitor to check how the CPU was doing. That brought the OS to a screeching halt. Once up again, I opened the system monitor again before running E-UAE. And was pleased to see that Ubuntu obviously uses two of the cores, not just one. There's still five more available to it though! But it could perhaps be that it actually uses them and just has no way of visualising it. Anyway, running Pinball Dreams this time, emulating a 68040 AGA machine to see if the CPU would break a sweat. And it didn't. Neither core went far above 50% for long. Saw one top out at 70% but didn't see it go any higher than that. However, E-UAE dropped dead again before it was done loading the game's menu. But at least it didn't take the OS with it this time.

So, it seems to me that there is no problem running UAE speedwise, but there's definitely some stability issues here. But that could perhaps just be the buggy WIP4 version.

So what next? MAME?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Linux is never that easy or user friendly to get working, which is the main reason it hasn't become a home OS for novices to use. But once things are setup correctly it is usually more stable than any other.

It is often mentioned how unstable WIP4 is so hopefully WIP3 will work much better. (if it can be found)

MAME would be cool to see running on the PS3. But I think we will see the true power of the PS3 once the system has been modded and developers can start writing native emulators for the PS3 hardware directly.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well well, i was away the weekend, and i am reading now all this new posts,
    Great job Teho!
    Yes maybe is buggy version.

About about linux? Does it work fine? Can you read Mp3, images, can you access the Web?

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Linux is never that easy or user friendly to get working, which is the main reason it hasn't become a home OS for novices to use. But once things are setup correctly it is usually more stable than any other.

It is often mentioned how unstable WIP4 is so hopefully WIP3 will work much better. (if it can be found)

MAME would be cool to see running on the PS3. But I think we will see the true power of the PS3 once the system has been modded and developers can start writing native emulators for the PS3 hardware directly.
    WIP3 can be found by scrolling down, or changing page on news page.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry FOL, but I just can't find it there. There is only the WIP4 when you scroll down, and the 'older versions'-link only has final versions, and not the WIPs. I'm sure I can find it if I search the web a little though, I just couldn't be bothered yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago
    About about linux? Does it work fine? Can you read Mp3, images, can you access the Web?
    Linux seemingly works just great. I haven't gotten to test it that thoroughly yet though. But there are a couple of video and audio clips present after you install, which played just fine for me. It does seem that you can't access the PS3 partition of the HD which definitely sucks, as that's where all the audio, video and images are stored.

Linux sees the CF/MS/SD card readers and there is a Bluetooth service running. But I haven't tested how they actually work yet. USB ports definitely work of course, as you need to use a USB keyboard and mouse. I've been using Logitech's wireless PS3 keyboard with touchpad which also works fine, since it's not bluetooth but uses a USB IR receiver.

Ubuntu also comes with Firefox installed, and it also works just fine (but not as fine as Opera, of course ). I didn't have to set up anything, Linux found my router and was connected from the very start.

The only thing I had problems with was networking with my XP box, as I mentioned earlier. I'm going to look further into that, but if I can't get that working I can't see me using Linux all that much, as it's too much of a hassle to move files over there otherwise. I don't want to store too much on that partition as it is either, as it's only 10GB. Yes, Sony's HD format tool stupidly does not let you choose the size of the partition. It's 10GB or none at all. You can choose to give the PS3 OS 10GB and the rest to Linux instead, but all in all it's pretty silly to not let you define the sizes yourself.

But even if I could, I wouldn't want to store entire file collections on it anyway. I definitely want to just stream them across the network, or copy across the ones I want whenever. So unless I can get the networking going, I probably won't be using the Linux install very much for anything worthwile. It will be fun to experiment a little with it though.