Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't own a Spectrum, had a CPC instead, but I loved the little machine. I was always happy to play on a Speccy, especially if the option was that or a C64, because at the time it seemed to me that all the C64 owners were smug little tykes who needed a smacked bottom and a good telling off for being snotty-nosed. I am a lot older now, thankfully, as are we all, and we no longer indulge in such pettiness...

*looks up*
    This is not a signature

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

You have got me thinking about C64 games now.
    I want to play Exploding Fist II but one of my thumbs and one of my fingers is red raw.
    Bugger.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    I can't believe you think the graphics on the speccy were better than the 64.
    Off the top of my head, remembering Way of the Exploding Fist.
    The graphics were truly awful on the speccy.
    Hello TiredOfLife,

I haven't said that the graphics of the Spectrum are better, just that they seem a little more detailed.
    While the Commodore 64 to me seems to be capable more regarding graphics, somehow the details gets lost.

Hello Harrison,

Its not as much that Halo and Gears of War are the best games for me on the moment, but these are two titles that are mentioned a lot in the current gaming crowd.

I do agree that gameplay wise they aren't that impressive or that standard setting.
    However a lot of modern day gamers don't know about the machines of yesterday or simply judge them on their graphics and capacities.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is very true. Most young people of today just look at the graphics and instantly dismiss a whole system based on one image, because it doesn't live up to their expectations to grab their short attention spans.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    all the C64 owners were smug little tykes who needed a smacked bottom and a good telling off for being snotty-nosed
    Would be cool if you could write that sentence in english for me

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well i still have my Spectrum 48k working, and i remember the C64, i think the old commodore was better then spectrum, graphics and sound, but i never own one, just the Spectrum

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think the old commodore was better then spectrum, graphics and sound
    That depends on the games, some were better (whether graphics, sound, playability...) on the C64, some one the Spectrum and others even on the CPC. At Retro Gamer forums they have a comparison thread, where they compare several games on these 3 platforms.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was always down to the coding abilities. In an ideal world Spectrum games would have looked and sounded the worst out of the three platforms in all games, but this wasn't the case due to good speccy coders, and bad ports to the other platforms.

The C64 when coded correctly could produce some great graphics, but many times things got rushed and the resulting games looked horrible. But worst hit for this was the CPC as so many games were just ported across from the Spectrum and looked identical, except for the colour clash being removed. But when a game was coded directly for the CPC they could look amazing. Look at Gryzor for a great example of this.

I do get the comments regarding spectrum graphics. Due to the sprites being single colour they did look quite crisp and stood out well. And when games were coded in black and white they looked really good on the spectrum. But they were far from a match for the other 8-bit machines at the time when they were coded correctly.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I trade:
    ZXSpecrtrum 48K
    tape loader
    monitor
    cassetes
    + extra cash

for 1 Amiga

anyone?

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just so you guys know (those who have a psp). I have setup a new site for PSPectrum, we are going to be helping with development of it.

url = http://pspectrum.pspuae.com
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]