Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone has manual/user's guide for Workbench 3.x ?

Hi,
    Anyone has manual/user's guide for Workbench 3.0/3.1 or 3.9 ?
    so many things i dont remember how to do....

Thanks

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a really good guide for the A1200 but I've just not had time to scan it all in yet. When I do, expect to see the PDF.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, if you see something about workbench pdf, doc... anythink let me know.
    Thanks Harrison

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Commodore Workbench 3.0 User Guide is on my list of things to scan, I'll try and do that one next. May take a little while as it's quite large (about 200 pages). Will let you know when it's done.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be great if we can get these manuals onto the site soon as I expect many people will be interested in getting hold of them.

I wonder what the legal standing is regarding this? Do you think there is any issue with hosting scanned copies of the old manuals? Does anyone actually own their copyright any longer? Passed on with the sale of Commodore? or not?

Regarding the A1200 guide I have, I might try and trace the original author, and if I find him try to gain his approval to host a copy of his book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Harrison

I think I mights tsill have a spare Amiga Workbench 3.0 guide around. Will check and if I have, I will put it with the magazines for you.

Oops. Misread original post...

Tiago, I do have a spare Workbench 3.0 manual available if you are interested.
    Last edited by v85rawdeal; 23rd August 2007 at 19:49.
    This is not a signature

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the problem could be with the editor and not with the author.
    The author could give you the rights to scan it but the editor could not be interested.
    But you can try

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copyright status of the Commodore manuals is unknown. It's probably considered an orphan work, that is a work where it is difficult or impossible to establish and contact the copyright holder. These are still technically under (C) but have nobody to defend this copyright. In the USA at least, they're looking at changing the law to formally make orphan works revert to public domain. In any case, the chances of being contacted to remove them are very slim (probably far slimmer than the games manuals hosted).

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How long does the copyright on printed material last? If it is only 25 years then some of the earliest Commodore printed material will soon be out of copyright anyway, as will games manuals.

I don't see we would get into any issues over Commodore manuals. I think the real issues could come from any third party publications we would like to scan and place on the site, as most publishers are still going strong.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    "3. Works first created on or after January 1, 1978 which are created by a corporate author enter the public domain 95 years after publication or 120 years after creation whichever occurs first."

That makes the earliest Amiga stuff officially out of copyright in 2084, quite probably we'll all be brown bread before then. For other books the law is:

"2. Works first created on or after January 1, 1978 enter the public domain 70 years after the death of the author if the author is a natural person."

A ridiculous law because you have to know when the author dies which for many authors of Amiga books won't be known. Again 70 years after they die is an unrealistic time to wait. Tracing them down and asking them is one (difficult) option or just putting them online and seeing if any of the authors gets in touch to give permission/request removal.