View RSS Feed

Puni/Void

The Playstation 2 - Still Hot

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone.

I've been writing about Amiga related topics in my previous blog entries. This time I'm going to do something different, as I've read some hot news concerning the Playstation 2.

While browsing Google News the other day, I noticed a headline about the Playstation 2.

It said "Sony raches 150 millionth sale of the Playstation 2". Man.. that is something, eh? 150 (!) million consoles? An incredible number to say the least. A true milestone.

The legendary console is still not dead. According to another article, Sony sold 2.1 million PS2 units in 2010. That's quite impressive for an eleven year old machine. A question is though; Does this hurt the sales of the PS3?

I believe the machine is still popular due to the combination of its cheap price and the availability of games. The gigantic software library of the PS2 is not to be sneezed at. You've got more than 10.000 titles to choose from!

It will be interesting to see what's in store for the PS2 in the future. Will even more units be sold in 2011? I do believe so. New games will also be released just as it was in 2010.

Oh, I forgot to include information about a newer Sony Bravia television. This TV does actually include a built-in PS2! You'll have to see it to believe it... Check out this article. Perfect for the kids room.

Thanks for your interest! Have a nice day and enjoy your PS2!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Another reason for its continued popularity is Sony's decision to pull support for PS2 games on the PS3, so anyone who sold/traded their PS2 when they upgraded to a PS3 have needed to buy another PS2 to access their games again. Quite an ingenious move by Sony to cause a continued sale of the older hardware.

There are also those who own more than one PS2, or purchased a replacement after their original broke. I personally own 2 myself (Phat and Slim), and a lot of others do too, so that adds to the total too. But regardless of all that, 150 million PS2's is a lot!

And that Sony TV is really cool. Tempted..

BTW, the PS2 is actually currently the best selling console of all time, with the original Playstation just behind it in second place with 102 million sold! If you factor in handheld consoles then the Nintendo DS is just behind the PS2 with 144 Million, and I have a feeling it won't be long before that takes over, but the console and handheld markets are quite different. Sony's own PSP isn't doing too badly either though, with 62 million sold to date, so while people say the PSP hasn't done well compared to the NDS, that is far from true. It's still beating selling that the Xbox 360! Only selling 50 million to date... with the PS3 just behind it with 48 million sold.

If you want to check out the current chart of console sales to date, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._game_consoles
    Almost tempted to get that TV as a replacement monitor for my computer... Hmmmm, problem is no work would ever get done...

Copyright classicamiga.com