PDA

View Full Version : Are you a chav???

v85rawdeal
19th August 2007, 08:36
Apparently, I am... because I fit into two of the following categories...

A chav is anyone who meets 2 or more of the following criteria:

1)You frequently drink stella

2)You own one or more item of clothing with a burberry pattern

3)You live on, or know more than two people who live on a council estate

4)You listen to hip hop, r'n'b or drum'n'bass

5)You have ever shouted at/abused an OAP or property belonging to an OAP

6)(Boys only) You have a body kit/fluffy dice/a fake spoiler on your car

7)(Girls only) You have 2 kids by the age of 16

Basically, chavs are the lowest level of civilization, on par with bacteria and worse than what Americans would call "trailer trash".

For more information take a look here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav). It should enlighten you :)

I fit in to 4 (old school stuff only though) and 3 (my daughter and her family).

Woe is me... woe, woe and thrice woe!!!

FOL
19th August 2007, 11:16
OMG, deffo not a chav. I like the body kit and fake spoiler bit, cause thats my brother, with his stupid spoiler that looks like an ironing board, lol.

Harrison
19th August 2007, 15:54
I'm definitely not a chav either! I don't fit into anything listed there. Probably the complete opposite, and middle classed. :unsure:

It is amazing what some people thing looks cool on their cars. And why do so many hatchbacks have spoilers? Do they actually think it makes a difference? Or shockingly looks cool? I'm not talking the rear Spoilers that are designed to extend from the top edge like the Focus RS as that looks good. I'm taking the stupid token piece of plastic or metal pole that the manufacturers screw to the bottom edge of the rear window as seen on most Vauxhall hatchbacks and many Fords. No Hatchback unless touring car tuned would ever need or benefit from the minimal downforce it might give. And haven't any of them noticed how they either make the car look like a shopping trolley (Fiesta) or a pram (Astra).

FOL
19th August 2007, 16:11
I agree 100%.

I had an astra (not modded in anyway and no spoiler bottom of window), it did have the top small spoiler, which looked ok. I personally, HATE with a passion, big bore exhausts. I mean "HELLO", it sounds crap, ;).

Harrison
19th August 2007, 16:20
Umm... well I do have a full quite large stainless steel exhaust system on my car, but I got that because I needed a new exhaust and the difference between that and a standard mild steel one was £30 at the time. And it will never need replacing.

It can get quite loud after being warmed up travelling at 130MPH for a bit though. ;)

A performance exhaust is stupid on a small engined car with no guts though. How often do you see stupid sized exhausts on a 1.2 Corsa? Looks very silly. At least on a decent car it will actually aid performance.

FOL
19th August 2007, 16:23
Umm... well I do have a full quite large stainless steel exhaust system on my car, but I got that because I needed a new exhaust and the difference between that and a standard mild steel one was £30 at the time. And it will never need replacing.

It can get quite loud after being warmed up travelling at 130MPH for a bit though. ;)

A performance exhaust is stupid on a small engined car with no guts though. How often do you see stupid sized exhausts on a 1.2 Corsa? Looks very silly. At least on a decent car it will actually aid performance.

LMFAO, you chav, ;).

Nah, only joking, :notworthy:

TiredOfLife
19th August 2007, 16:49
Phew that was close.
I had to say yes to the 1st question.
Luckily that was all.

toomanymikes
19th August 2007, 17:27
I used to drink Stella and I used to live on a council estate (although the majority was in private ownership). I probably shouted at an OAP when I was a kid too. I also listen to R&B, alongside just about any other genre of music. Does this mean I'm a chav, chav wannabe or just an ex-chav? :D
In Scotland we call them Neds - Non educated deliquents - but in Aberdeen their known as Bams, i.e: yer jist a Bam min! For more info see:
http://www.firstfoot.com/php/glossary/phpglossar_0.8/index.php?letter=n
I personally like Bawbag, Scaffie and Cheb.:p

Harrison
19th August 2007, 17:44
I love Scottish slang. :) A guy I work with has a very strong Scottish accent and when he comes to work after having had one too many whiskeys you can't understand a bloody word he's saying as it's completely slang based. We stand there puzzled all trying to work out what he just said. :lol:

toomanymikes
19th August 2007, 18:16
One of my favourite Scottish-ims is a Teuchter (country folk) word - Aye. Not Aye as in 'yes', but just aye as in the sound 'high'. Used in those spaces between conversation or as a note of general agreement, this version of aye is said when inhaling air to give the characteristic 'h' sound at the beginning of the word. Normally either long in length - (hhhhh)aye -, or quickly repeated - (h)aye, (h)aye, (h)aye - the sound is the marmite of the Scottsih vernacular; you either love it or hate it.:D

J T
20th August 2007, 09:27
You see, I hate this how 'chav culture' and 'chav chic' thing - I really done't see how being antisocial and poorly educated could ever be something to be proud of, let alone something for others to aspire to.

But, I do take issue with some people saying 'poor/council estate people are all chavs' because they aren't. Just becuase they live on an estate doesn't mean they can't take pride in their home, work, and be responsible - just as you can get wealthy 'chavs'. I accept that many, possibly the majority are a bit scuzzy but there are decent people there too.

Also the spoilers/exhaust thing: there are quite a few 'halfords specials' around, and I hate them. Although every now and then there is a subtly modified one that actually looks better than standard - it's quite rare though.

Can't say I've noticed too many manufacturer fitted spoilers below the back window though (Audi TT springs to my mind first) - the vougue seems to be a small one above the rear window (my old fiesta and the focus had these - as standard - and I thought it improved the shape a lot compared to the lower spec models). I quite like them, but not silly whale-tails or evo-hoops on 1.2 hatchbacks.

Harrison
20th August 2007, 12:17
The ultimate Chav cars:

http://www.car-body-kit.co.uk/nov220.jpg
http://www.car-body-kit.co.uk/nov222.jpg

And people think those look good? The body kits probably cost more than the cars are worth. And they reduce performance due to making the car heavier. At least they hide the rust! ;)

J T
20th August 2007, 13:40
It's amazing how many ruded-up novas and saxos and such-like try to race the ST. It's actually rather embarassing (for them).

I actually hate Novas, but every now and then see one that has been done up really subtly, nice and tasteful. Obviously cared for and not just been smeared in glue and had some plastic shit slung all over it.

The ones in the picture you posted are quite bad, but I've seen a LOT worse, a cursory search on BarryBoys (http://http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27105&highlight=nova) throws up an example straight away.

Harrison
20th August 2007, 14:08
What always amuses me is that for the money they spent on these old cars they could have purchased a much better car.

I love how the owner of that Nova stuck a huge exhaust on te car, yet left the 1.2 badge on the back. :lol:

And what is it with the clear replacement rear light clusters? I see those all the time on older cars and they just look shit! They never compliment the styling of the car they are on and it's harder to see the lights, especially when they brake, which I think should be illegal.

AlexJ
20th August 2007, 20:36
Most chavved up cars on the road are illegal because most of the drivers don't tell the insurance company they've modded the car thus invalidating the insurance (actually come to think of it, most probably don't bother with insurance in the first place).

Always good fun to be in a pretty ordinary car and leave a chavmobile for dead at the lights with it belching out smoke. Would love to see the face on the drivers girlfriend as his 'supercar' is owned by a standard unmodified Punto.

Harrison
20th August 2007, 23:22
It's much more fun to have an understated, normal looking car that doesn't look any different to a standard model, until you put your foot down. ;)

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 05:27
I could fit into category 1, but as Stella is a disgusting beer, at least one of the worst from Belgium, and you can't buy it here, I can't say I'm a chav.

woody.cool
10th August 2008, 12:31
A chav is anyone who meets 2 or more of the following criteria:

1)You frequently drink stella

2)You own one or more item of clothing with a burberry pattern

3)You live on, or know more than two people who live on a council estate

4)You listen to hip hop, r'n'b or drum'n'bass

5)You have ever shouted at/abused an OAP or property belonging to an OAP

6)(Boys only) You have a body kit/fluffy dice/a fake spoiler on your car

7)(Girls only) You have 2 kids by the age of 16

I fit into 1 and 4 (D 'n' B only though - I can't stand Hip Hop or R 'n' B)

Zetr0
10th August 2008, 15:09
phew..... safe!!!!!!

my_lo
12th August 2008, 08:13
nope not a chav here either ^_^.

Puni/Void
23rd August 2008, 16:27
Not here either. :cool:

Buleste
23rd August 2008, 16:41
I'm a pikey according to the chavs shouting abuse at me the other day.