PDA

View Full Version : Hacked PS3 firmware coming? M33 interested?

Harrison
19th August 2007, 03:23
In a recent interview with the Russian PSP firmware hacking group M33, they were asked the following question and gave the following reply:

PSPX: Are you going to work with other consoles?
M33: Maybe with PS3, we're not interested in other consoles ...

So at least now we know of at least one group interested in the PS3. ;)

Lets hope more will follow.

Original interview with M33 can be found here. (http://pspx.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=489705#post489705)

FOL
19th August 2007, 12:11
Aye, tis interesting.

Not for me though, I wont buy PS3, dont see the point. PSP is enough.

I also heard that your able to install yellow dog linux on PS3, then use E-UAE to Emulate the Amiga on it, ;). Sounds cool

Harrison
19th August 2007, 16:27
Indeed you can. Sony did seem to take notice regarding the PS3 and actually build in the ability to allow the install a second OS by dafault. There are a couple of distros of Linux available which is great for homebrew as people can get on with writing games, demos and emulators for the PS3 with official support and no illegal hardware or software modding.

But I hope this doesn't put many off from trying to stick hack the official PS3 firmware as I like all more systems to me modded so I can run games from other regions as we never see a lot of the great games in Europe.

I will definitely be getting a PS3 sometimes towards the end of this year, or the start of next, as there are a load of great games in development currently that look amazing and from the trailers look like they will be amazing to play too. I can't wait. :)

FOL
19th August 2007, 17:07
Indeed you can. Sony did seem to take notice regarding the PS3 and actually build in the ability to allow the install a second OS by dafault. There are a couple of distros of Linux available which is great for homebrew as people can get on with writing games, demos and emulators for the PS3 with official support and no illegal hardware or software modding.

But I hope this doesn't put many off from trying to stick hack the official PS3 firmware as I like all more systems to me modded so I can run games from other regions as we never see a lot of the great games in Europe.

I will definitely be getting a PS3 sometimes towards the end of this year, or the start of next, as there are a load of great games in development currently that look amazing and from the trailers look like they will be amazing to play too. I can't wait. :)

Well, games for the XBOX360 and PS3 are way over priced. Bring on the 15 year old original games that last and last and did i mention, last, ;).

Harrison
19th August 2007, 17:18
The games are definitely expensive, but they were back in the 80's and 90's for consoles too. Amiga and ST games were cheaper for sure with the average price being £19.99, but console games back then were bad. I remember the average SNES cartridge cost between £49.99 and £59.99, and when the original Playstation came out games started out at £49.99 too. So they have always been expensive.

I never buy games when they first get released though unless they are must have titles. Waiting just a few months normally sees them drop in price.

Do older games have more gameplay and longevity than more recent titles? This is an argument I've seen a lot over the years and it's not really possible to give a straight answer. You could look at some games like FPS's that can be completed to under 10 hours and answer no they don't offer the same as older titles, but equally you could look at many of the RPGs that last over 60 hours and say they do.

And looking at older titles it is the same. Many games offered a lot of lifespan, whereas others didn't.

But from the other aspect I think retro games are ageing much better than the more recent PSX onwards 3D based titles and will continue to be more enjoyable for years to come.

FOL
19th August 2007, 17:21
lol, £19.99 was fine in my opinion, think about speccy games, jeez i remember paying between £15 and £25, ;).

AlexJ
19th August 2007, 17:35
I usually wait for a title to go onto Platinum or buy preowned. You can often get games 6-8 months after release for about £15 on preowned, cheaper still on eBay.

FOL
19th August 2007, 17:39
I usually wait for a title to go onto Platinum or buy preowned. You can often get games 6-8 months after release for about £15 on preowned, cheaper still on eBay.

Better stll, go PCworld, cause thats all their good for is games dropped in price. I bought 4 decent games i was after for a year, for £10, ;).

Harrison
19th August 2007, 18:31
I managed to do the same a while back in PC World. The problem with them is that they only like to ever have the current releases on the shelves, so they try to just get rid of anything over a few months old. Good for us though.

And ebay can be a great place for older games. I found this guy with an ebay store a while back who concentrated on PC games and they were all £1. I got a load of games I'd wanted for a long time that i had passed over or missed originally. Great to get original games so cheaply. Not worth the download when they are that price.

AlexJ
20th August 2007, 21:38
I found this guy with an ebay store a while back who concentrated on PC games and they were all £1. I got a load of games I'd wanted for a long time that i had passed over or missed originally. Great to get original games so cheaply. Not worth the download when they are that price.

It would nearly cost more in electric costs to download it and burn to CD/DVD than to buy it at that price.

FOL
20th August 2007, 22:22
While this is a thread about 3.52 M33-3 , I would say DONT UPDATE to their latest, as it could be a bricker they released as revenge on a certain site.
This is regards to PSP, incase your wondering.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 02:22
Thanks for the heads up. Is the latest version 3.52 M33-4?

Do you know which site M33 were attacking? I tend to download most of my firmware updates from dl.qj.net

AlexJ
21st August 2007, 02:28
From what I've read, if it finds www.ps3news.com in your PSP's internet cache it may brick the PSP when updating. Seems pretty lame to f*ck with people's stuff just because you've got beef with some website. Just blocking the PSP from accessing that site or refusing to start the upgrade process would surely have been sufficient.

Edit: Also apparently, any modifications to the updater will cause the PSP to brick on update. The code that was previously used to prevent a corrupted updater from proceeding (and bricking the PSP) is now used to deliberately brick the console.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 03:01
That is pretty bad. This isn't going to make M33 any new friends in the PSP community.

So maybe we should stick to M33 3.51-7 for the moment just to be safe.

Submeg
21st August 2007, 11:47
Wow, are the people that run it twelve? :rolleyes: That is quite lame if you ask me :dry:

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 11:58
I also think that this is very lame and childish.
Just blocking the PSP from accessing that site or refusing to start the upgrade process would surely have been sufficient.Exactly!

Harrison
21st August 2007, 14:54
And if you think about it, those actions are completely against the whole idea of the homebrew custom firmware community. The point was to unlock the PSP so it could be used opening for anything anyone likes.

AlexJ
21st August 2007, 15:19
Wow, are the people that run it twelve? :rolleyes: That is quite lame if you ask me :dry:

Probably yeah they are. Very intelligent and clever, but the childishness shows through. It's all just a game to them, and they probably have no idea how many hours work it takes to afford a PSP. I personally find it highly ironic they're doing it to stop people copying and modifying their stuff 'because it's theft'. Surely their firmware is actually 90% Sony stuff, and 5% DarkAlex stuff. Not cool guys, not cool.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 15:43
According to the recent M33 interview, they are made up of 5 members ranging in age from 20 to 50, with two of them still at college. So that could explain it.

FOL
21st August 2007, 18:50
Well, i might go back to 3.40 OE.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 23:05
Why? What's wrong with M33 3.51-7?

FOL
21st August 2007, 23:11
Was abit scared off, but installing 352 M33 - 4 now, :)

Harrison
21st August 2007, 23:34
At least I have a UP modchip in my PSP so if I ever brick it I have an easy way to restore it. ;)

FOL
21st August 2007, 23:57
At least I have a UP modchip in my PSP so if I ever brick it I have an easy way to restore it. ;)

Just so you know its safe, if you download it from M33 Forums.

Harrison
22nd August 2007, 00:08
Cheers. I will probably stick with 3.51-7 for the moment though as I don't need 3.52 compatibility for anything. Are there actually any games yet that require it?

FOL
22nd August 2007, 18:15
I believe there is 1 or 2