PDA

View Full Version : Strange keyboard behaviour in Firefox

Harrison
18th August 2007, 19:58
Has anyone else ever experienced strange keyboard behaviour when using Firefox? I've had this happen quite often and not sure that is causing it.

Sometimes when typing a forum reply I hit ctrl and the page jumps back to the last page just like clicking the back button, so I lose the post I was making. And other times pressing the ' key brings up the find box at the bottom of the browser instead of actually typing the character, and then the cursor keys stop working.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour? And to you have any idea what is causing it?

AlexJ
18th August 2007, 22:19
In most cases with Firefox I find I can hit back and then click forward and the post is still there. Doesn't work with Quick Reply on vB though because it's greyed out on page load.

I don't think I've experienced the same problem, but I do often get tab-freeze, where clicking another tab doesn't work.

Harrison
18th August 2007, 22:34
When the tabs freeze it means the browser has run out of cache space in memory because too many sites are being accessed at once. I sometimes get that when developing a site and have way too many tabs and windows open at once, at the same time as maybe 10 applications. Firefox normally shuts down from the processes window without complaining and restores the last session fine to fix that though.

The worst of the problems I've encountered is definitely the browser suddenly jumping back to the last webpage while I'm typing. Not sure what the cause it, but it must be due to some strange key combination I sometimes hit while typing too fast. Who knows. Only happens every so often.

Harrison
18th August 2007, 22:43
I've just done some searching and found that these are actually bugs in FF2 which are supposedly now fixed in the latest nightly build and will be released in the next major automatic update.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2548072

There is a quick fix there to help sort out the issue. It seems that FF uses ' as a shortcut key to bring up the fond box, but that it should disable this while typing in any text area within a webpage, but the bug breaks this sometimes.

Others in that thread also mention the cursor keys not working which is exactly what was also happening to me, but after applying this about:config edit that seems to be fixed too. So I recommend you do this config edit even if you are not currently experiencing this bug.

FOL
19th August 2007, 01:50
Ah, i thought it was just me, lol, ;)

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 06:38
Already encountered similar problems, can't remember which ones though, and I thought it was due to a key combination as it always happens the same time, when I'm trying to do something, which I can't remember now, have to pay attention next time it happens.

Teho
21st August 2007, 14:53
http://www.opera.com :whistle:

Harrison
21st August 2007, 15:00
Who would of guessed that recommendation was coming. :lol:

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 15:33
Who would of guessed that recommendation was coming.Yeah :lol: but there's some trueness.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 15:47
Opera is a great browser, but you have to admit it does have compatibility issues with some sites. Banking sites refuse to work with it and Google Docs actually state they don't support it.

But it is fast and nice to use.

FOL
21st August 2007, 18:07
It can also be the way site is designed.

Example: SONY Dealer Site.

If using FireFox, you cant use drop down links. IE 6 works fine.

I myself have had murder, when making php apps. As I would test it firefox while setting up, then check it in IE last only to find that everything is in wrong places.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 22:14
No, that's just bad coding. Firefox is web standards compliant, whereas IE has a lot of it's own unique proprietary properties and features that are not compliant with current web standards, and coding a website to use them isn't good practice.

I always hate trying to get IE to work correctly with CSS too as it doesn't even follow that properly either and most of the time requires IE fixes to be added within the CSS to make it do what you want.

FOL
21st August 2007, 22:20
aye, you should see the pspuae.com, workbench 3.0 theme in IE 6 with res 800 x 600. It all goes ti*s up, ;).