PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy perseid meteor shower

toomanymikes
11th August 2007, 20:32
The perseid meteor shower is due to start today and last for about 4 days over the northern hemisphere. According to the BBC

"Watchers will get the best of the display from about 2200 BST (2100 GMT) on Sunday 12 August, which will peak just before sunrise on Monday 13 August. "

Should be quite an event so anyone that can make it to some fields miles away from a major city / town should have a spectacular view!

Harrison
11th August 2007, 21:55
Great. I live in the middle of nowhere so hopefully I should be able to see it. :)

J T
12th August 2007, 22:31
I was in Guildford this evening where the sky is quite nice and clear, but forgot all about this and came home - I'll probably not see anything here being so close to London, we don't see many star in the night sky :(

I'm *almost* tempted to go back.

Ghost
12th August 2007, 22:42
Well lets hope it doesn't end like "Day of the Triffids" or "Night of the Comet", I am not going to clean up after you guys when you turn to dust because of the radiation of meteor dust.

Harrison
12th August 2007, 23:07
Hope none of you looked directly at the shower! Umm... well... if you did then you can't read this now! Oh well...

Ghost
14th August 2007, 00:01
Hmm, I think I saw one of the shrubs move today, probably developing a taste for flesh.

J T
15th August 2007, 10:37
I watched it, was a little underwhelmed. Still, I hadn't seen a 'shooting star' before, and I saw 7 or 8 so it was a success in that respect.