PDA

View Full Version : The Last Remnant - PS3

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 14:02
Also saw this one some time ago, a future RPG release by Square Enix for PS3. Looks a bit like Final Fantasy.

The Last Remnant preview (http://stage6.divx.com/user/jeuxvideomax/video/1388168/The-Last-Remnant)

Harrison
7th August 2007, 14:56
I have heard of this one and have read about it in the preview section of Edge. Definitely looks promising.

If all of these promising RPGs do come to the PS3 then we are in for a real treat and the PS3 is destined to follow in the PS2's footsteps to become the next must have system for RPG fans.

The future looks good. :)

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 15:43
Yum :)

Has anyone seen the preview videos to White Knight Story as well? From what I've seen, it has an innovative realtime combat system that looks awsome. It's being developed by Level-5, the guys who made Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy. All in all, I'm really looking forward to the RPG heavyweights that are incoming on the PS3.

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 17:47
Has anyone seen the preview videos to White Knight Story as well?Nope, but will have a look tomorrow.
It's being developed by Level-5, the guys who made Dark Cloud, Dark ChronicleDark Cloud IS Dark Chronicle, it was only renamed for Europe.

Demon Cleaner
8th August 2007, 07:52
Ah, I remember, I already saw White Knight Story in the Games Flash of GIGA Games, and that one also looks very promising, awesome monsters.

Here's (http://stage6.divx.com/user/peterlo/video/1453994/White-Knight-Story) a direct link to the trailer.

Sharingan
8th August 2007, 08:44
Dark Cloud[/I] IS Dark Chronicle, it was only renamed for Europe.

True, Dark Chronicle was the name for Dark Cloud 2 (the sequel with the cel-shaded graphics). Never got hold of it sadly. Never finished the first game either - the fact that weapons had to be constantly repaired became way too aggravating. The person that came up with that idea should be shot.

Demon Cleaner
8th August 2007, 08:48
I have both games but didn't play them yet. I heard that you can assemble different objects to create something, but I didn't know that the weapons had to be repaired. Did that happen constantly? I thought the whole Dark Cloud/Chronicle system was quite innovative, perhaps they removed that in the sequel.

Harrison
8th August 2007, 11:26
Dark Chronicle is the European name for Dark Cloud 2. Therefore Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle are the two games in the series, not the same game.

The repairing of weapons is an annoying aspect of the games, but it is also common in other RPGs. As the weapons degrade they become less effective in battle, and if you don't repair them before they become too badly damaged they will break and be lost.

I also liked these games. The second game, Dark Chronicles, is much better than the first. With the first game the gameplay felt very much like a sandbox with you placed in a big open area ready to build the town and access to the dungeon to use for collecting the objects to build the town. It was more of a different take on god games than a full RPG as it lacked a complex and involving story. The sequel solved this by adding the elements of the first game into a proper story based RPG. The cell shaded graphics were also very nicely made.

Sharingan
8th August 2007, 11:41
Did that happen constantly? I thought the whole Dark Cloud/Chronicle system was quite innovative, perhaps they removed that in the sequel.

Yes, the weapon durability constantly degraded. The most annoying thing about this system was that once durability reached 0, your weapon went 'poof'. It breaks, no way of getting it back save for reloading an old save game. And if you ever dabbled with the game's weapon upgrade/creation system, you'd know that losing an upgraded weapon that took HOURS to power up sucks donkey nuts.

Harrison
8th August 2007, 12:32
Losing a weapon you spent a lot of time developing was very annoying, and probably the biggest negative aspect of the game. At least with other games that use a similar repair weapon system they just become unusable until repaired, so you don't actually lose them.

Demon Cleaner
8th August 2007, 14:03
At least with other games that use a similar repair weapon system they just become unusable until repaired, so you don't actually lose them.Which imo also makes more sense and is less frustrating.