PDA

View Full Version : Pet Hates at Work

TiredOfLife
29th July 2007, 18:26
Something Harrison had said on one of the other threads hit a raw nerve.
People who work hard can never win unlike the lazy buggers who can never lose.
If you work hard and your standards slip for a min, managers can be on you like a ton of bricks.
People who are crap, lazy or both tend to get ignored.
Nobody relies on them because it's not worth it.
Then when they do something once in a while, the managers are chuffed.
Perhaps the managers should earn their corn and get these buggars to perform on a regular basis.
The rest of us wouldn't have to push ourselves quite so much.

Anyway, lets hear your work rants here.
Specific individuals in work (Probably shouldn't include their full or real name here) or just general pet hates, let's feel your pain.

Submeg
29th July 2007, 22:12
my pet hate? Moronic customers. But,seeing as I deal with the general public...I have no choice :(

v85rawdeal
30th July 2007, 08:50
My pet peeve at work??? er... Work!!!

J/k actually it would be lack of appreciation for what you do. You work hard on a project, show it to the boss and they say 'yeah, that's great' and proceed to spend an hour discussing where to go for lunch!

Grrrr!!! Makes me wanna go home and play State of Emergency!!!

Harrison
30th July 2007, 16:11
Well my main one has to be as you stated in the first post. The lazy buggers who do nothing and get away with it while you work hard, and then when you do take a moment you get pulled up for it.

Another is people who go early. If you don't have much work then no one minds you going a few minutes early in most companies (as long as you know your boss doesn't mind), but there are those who moan about the hours they have to work (the hours they are actually paid for) and yet they are lazy, do little, and try to get away with going early every night. This contrasts to the hard working people who would rather stay behind 2 minutes just to know the job is complete and finished (as I do). The lazy ones haven't ever actually thought about who will finish off and pick up the mess left behind them. It's all magic to them.

This leads me to those who have no pride in their work. They turn up, they do as little as they can get away with, watching the clock until exactly the time they can leave, they instantly drop whatever they are working on the moment the clock changes to the minute they can go home, and they are out the door. Without a care for the mess they have left a colleague to clear up behind them. These are the same people who will arrive at work and instantly complain that their work area is a mess! These people drive me mad and I know that the work would be done just as fast, if not quicker with them not actually being there.

Also I've found everywhere that I work that the people who moan the most in the work place are the worst workers there!

I've also seen little evidence of this "multi-tasking" ability that women claim they possess! Based on what I've seen over the years a woman will work hard until a friend brings up a subject of conversation they are interested in. Then their hands freeze and the mouth takes over. Where is the multi-tasking? :hmmm: And yet they still try to make fun of men not having this ability. Being able to stop work to talk about the latest incident in the televised mental ward known as Big Brother isn't in my opinion something most men would give the time of day for.

TiredOfLife
30th July 2007, 18:44
Ahh popular opinions and sayings (With women anyway)
Well done to Harrison.
Another one that does the rounds.
If men get a cold, they say it's the flue.
They are all hypochondriacs.
Well in the civil service (where I work) it has been proven women take significantly more sick days than men.
A headache is no reason to take a day of sick, that's what paracetemol is for.

Sharingan
30th July 2007, 20:16
My biggest pet hate at work?

Mine mirrors Harrison's, basically.

Slackers should be hung by the balls, and I mean it. I don't mind if someone takes it easy every now and then - I mean, we're no droids, it's no crime to relax every now and then, even on the workfloor.

However, there are some people that just don't do a single fsucking thing all day long, always leave early, make up excuses to be on sick leave 6 out of 12 months each year, and then have the gall to complain about 'being poorly paid' and 'being stressed out'. Assholes. The most ironic thing is that most of them end up with a higher salary than you because they aren't afraid to kiss major boss bunghole.

Another thing I hate is when people ask something for the umpteenth time. I don't mind explaining something three, four or even five times, but when someone still doesn't get it after the twentieth, I get the urge to strangulate people. Write things down on paper so you don't forget, for goodness' sake.

TiredOfLife
30th July 2007, 20:29
It's not unheard of for people to be allowed to go for promotion, just to get rid of them.
Another reason why the worst staff can end up on more dosh.

Harrison
30th July 2007, 22:26
That happened to one guy I used to work with. He was hated by all so they accepted his promotion to line-manager, but that didn't work because then whole sections of people started to hate him, so they promoted him to shift manager, where he was mostly stuck in his office with paper work (better) but he still escaped the office from time to time to annoy everyone in the office! So the solution? The dangling of a nice shiny promotion in the form of the main overall manager of another office! RESULT! He took the bait and he moved! That was a great day and the office threw a leaving party. Strangely he wasn't told about the party or where it was being held, so missed it. ;) :lol:

TiredOfLife
30th July 2007, 22:56
Explains why the country is in the state it is in, but what can you do?
Celebrate when they Armani off, I suppose.

J T
31st July 2007, 20:16
So the solution? The dangling of a nice shiny promotion in the form of the main overall manager of another office! RESULT! He took the bait and he moved! That was a great day and the office threw a leaving party. Strangely he wasn't told about the party or where it was being held, so missed it. ;) :lol:

BWAHAHAHAHA

Nice touch!

I have a few minor peeves (generally covered here already), but generally the people i work with -and especially the people I work with closely- are a top bunch.

toomanymikes
19th August 2007, 12:06
My pet hates are:
Showing people how to do something and it becomes obvious they arent listening as they go and cock it up again straight away.
People talking over you when your trying to have a conversation. Wait your turn!:zipped:
Lazy folk - not so bad if the work they do is good but when they dont do anything and the work they produce is naff - I hate that.
Office politics - its not what you know but who; Cant stand it when people suck up to complete swines just cos it furthers their career.
Negative, pessimistic folk that are only too happy to point out someones flaws but do not have the ability to praise anyone when deserved. I always try to give praise 10 times more than I complain about performance, its hard but people tend to work better when they feel they are doing something wothwhile.
Nepotism!
It may sound like quite a long list but I actually do like the majority of people I work with!

FOL
19th August 2007, 12:21
My pet hates are,

Being asked to do something, then being told not to, then getting in trouble for not doing what i was told originally. ITS LIKE "HELLO".

Harrison
19th August 2007, 16:05
That annoyed me too, and I've been in that situation loads of times. The old expression "Too many chefs..." fits perfectly. It has amazed me over the years how department heads or Line Managers never communicate for pass information on, so they then don't know what is actually happening through the whole building/company.

TiredOfLife
19th August 2007, 16:44
Hmm, I can relate to the last couple pf postings.

I moved office after a promotion a few years back.
Got a phone call from one of the lads I used to work with asking how the job was.
My reply?
New faces, same old shit.

It would seem that the crap that goes on in my workplace goes on everywhere else as well.

toomanymikes
19th August 2007, 17:30
It's not unheard of for people to be allowed to go for promotion, just to get rid of them.

TiredOfLife - that wasnt you was it? OJ:D

StuKeith
20th August 2007, 12:45
Something Harrison had said on one of the other threads hit a raw nerve.
People who work hard can never win unlike the lazy buggers who can never lose.
If you work hard and your standards slip for a min, managers can be on you like a ton of bricks.
People who are crap, lazy or both tend to get ignored.
Nobody relies on them because it's not worth it.
Then when they do something once in a while, the managers are chuffed.
Perhaps the managers should earn their corn and get these buggars to perform on a regular basis.
The rest of us wouldn't have to push ourselves quite so much.

Anyway, lets hear your work rants here.
Specific individuals in work (Probably shouldn't include their full or real name here) or just general pet hates, let's feel your pain.

here here!

I have a disiplinery at 3pm today for matters beyond my control!

1st one;

Went to cust site in surrey on the 20th July. THE DAY EVERY WHERE FLOODED! I was flooded in. Took me hours to get in, batt in phone died so couldnt ring, and stuck in traffic. If there ever was a "Dog ate my homework" excuse then this would be the day to use it!

2nd one;

Backups. I have been doing backups since I started of some important machines. I get taking to the office and moaned at good style asking why it hasn't been done for 206 days?

I told them it has, I do it every week. Turns out they never told me to include the file in the backups. Two line managers where present when I set the backup originally and were happy. All my lm could say is, "should have made a note as proof!" Why should I have had too? Surely you can trust two managers no? Also I wasn't even working there 206 days ago!

3rd one;

Attendance. Apparently this is poor? Even though I have only taking one morning off due to car problems. This was last month when the gearbox blew on the way to work. I had to wait for the RAC. When I got home there was no point going in, as you need to take flexi in 3.75 slots. so I went in, in the afternoon.

The only other times I have had off have been planed, or due to illness. I have been off the last 2 weeks for stress related reasons. The boss also stood up and shouted at me in front of the rest of the room due to a booking number issue, and then marched me off like a naught schoolboy.

Not looking forward to going back!

TiredOfLife
20th August 2007, 13:16

TiredOfLife - that wasnt you was it? OJ:D

Bollocks, dropped myself right in it.
Bit low using my own words against me.

Harrison
20th August 2007, 14:05
Oh dear, Stu. I hope it all ends OK after today. As you say, there is nothing you could have done regarding the floods, and no one can foresee car trouble or do much when it happens.

And if two line managers witnessed you actually setting up the backup then you have proof you did it.

FOL
20th August 2007, 17:35
Im on my last written warning, im saving it, ;).

Nah, first 2 were when i was an apprentice (over 10 years ago, i was young and stupid). Myself and 2 other apprentices, had to go to night college, and as i drove i was nominated to take them to. Anyway, We would get to college, and they would say to me "its sunny lets go home", after 10 mins of bagering, i would give in. As the oldest I was supposed to be more responable, lol.

Fun times, fun times, :)

StuKeith
20th August 2007, 17:40
Oh dear, Stu. I hope it all ends OK after today. As you say, there is nothing you could have done regarding the floods, and no one can foresee car trouble or do much when it happens.

And if two line managers witnessed you actually setting up the backup then you have proof you did it.

Update! Been Fired! :o in a right state! I loved this job. Never been fired before! :thumbsdown2:

FOL
20th August 2007, 17:53

Update! Been Fired! :o in a right state! I loved this job. Never been fired before! :thumbsdown2:

Damn, sorry to hear, I have never been fired to. Even though I dont need to, I do try to do everything to cover myself. Which is sad in this day and age.

Lets hope you find another job that you love. Im not sure what I would do if I lost my current job, as there is no call for Electronics Engineers (repairs).

toomanymikes
20th August 2007, 19:18
That sucks man. :thumbsdown2: Surely they must see reason? Obviously not - your better off out of it by the sounds of things.

TiredOfLife
20th August 2007, 19:44
Bloody hell, that's very harsh.
Is there no one you can appeal to?

Teho
20th August 2007, 20:56
Holy.. That's just not right at all, by the sound of it! There has to be something you can do about that, right?

Harrison
20th August 2007, 23:56
So sorry to hear that mate. Had they given you any written warnings before this? Or was this out of the blue? By law you can appeal against this if you feel you have wrongly been sacked. I know how pleased you were when you got this job too. :(

Hope you manage to find something else quickly. I know what it's like to suddenly be without work. I was made redundant suddenly from a design job years ago that I loved because the company went bankrupt. You just have to force yourself to start looking for another job the next day. Leave it too long and it becomes harder.

Stephen Coates
21st August 2007, 07:26
Sorry to hear you got sacked. If you think they shouldn;t have sacked you, then you must do something about it. I would go mad at them if they unfairly sacked me.

Lets hope you find another job that you love. Im not sure what I would do if I lost my current job, as there is no call for Electronics Engineers (repairs).

No one wants Electronics engineers? :o:unsure:

StuKeith
21st August 2007, 12:18
So sorry to hear that mate. Had they given you any written warnings before this? Or was this out of the blue? By law you can appeal against this if you feel you have wrongly been sacked. I know how pleased you were when you got this job too. :(

Hope you manage to find something else quickly. I know what it's like to suddenly be without work. I was made redundant suddenly from a design job years ago that I loved because the company went bankrupt. You just have to force yourself to start looking for another job the next day. Leave it too long and it becomes harder.

Nope it was out of the blue. My review in June was great, was on course for promotion and a company car. last 2 months things have gone on, ended up being signed off due to stress as my boss was becoming a bully. Had no warnings at all in the past at this job.

toomanymikes
21st August 2007, 12:29
I'm no expert but should you not have the right to appeal, especially if there was no written warnings given in the past? If your gonna claim for unfair dismissal under eployment law you have to have been there for a year.
http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/tiscali/empq14.html

Harrison
21st August 2007, 14:30
I think that could be where the problem is. I don't think he has been there a year yet. But if you were officially signed off with stress then I'm sure there is legal grounds regarding being dismissed if it relates directly to the stress. You should go and speak to your local citizen advice bureau as they will be able to advise you and tell you if you do have a case against unfair dismissal. Write everything down that happened with rough dates and take that with you, along with any supporting evidence such as sick notes/doctors letters so they can see exactly what happened.