PDA

View Full Version : Classicamiga Darwin Awards

Sharingan
25th July 2007, 19:17
Inspired by this site (http://www.darwinawards.com/), let's discuss what dumbass things we, the Classicamiga visitors, have done that have almost gotten us killed.

I'll start.

Two years ago, I was in a hurry to get to work. At the subway station, there was this area they'd closed off with a few lengths of cord due to construction work. Because the subway train was already about to depart, and I had no time to go around the construction site, I decided it was a good idea to jump over the thing, Carl Lewis style. All that to save, you know, 2 seconds of time. I mean, the cord was only knee-height! I mean, fsuck that, a 5-year old could do that.

So here I come, running at full speed, weaving left and right to avoid people ... I jump over the cord ... but what I had failed to notice, was that the bastards had fastened a second cord there, suspended at neck height.

The triple corkscrew backflip I involuntarily made then was fabulous.

The way the back of my head made contact with concrete wasn't.

By the time I realised what had happened, there was this copper holding my head, asking me to stay still, while a colleague of his called the ambulance. I didn't even know how bad it was until I saw the pool of blood I was lying in. Never knew I had so much, I can tell you.

In the end, it turned out I had no concussion, nor was the head wound very large (still have the scar though), but I know that if I had landed less favourably then, I could've broken my fool neck.

So do you have any similar stories to tell? Maybe something a friend or acquaintance of yours did? Share them, cos' we could always use a good laugh :thumbs:

Harrison
26th July 2007, 00:40
Umm... I think we all have moments where we forget to take our common sense with us when we do things, but I don't think I've done anything on quite that scale. Sounds like you were lucky.

About the only times I can remember is when I was young, doing stupid things like wondering how well I could bounce down the stairs on a space hopper and ending up losing control and bouncing right out through the glass window next to the front door at the bottom! Oops!.

TiredOfLife
26th July 2007, 23:27
Good idea.
Bit tired now, but I will see what I can remember and post something over the weekend.

toomanymikes
17th August 2007, 13:51
Where to begin...
On my second birthday I ran through the house and tripped on the threshold to the bathroom, which was being done up, and slit my eyebrow on a nail - still have the scar.
When i was about 13 i tried to jump over a small retaining wall at the bootom of a hill on my bike but my front wheel didnt quite make it and resuted in me landing on my head with the bike on top of me - i lost an eyebrow, same one, and now when its cold the scars on my cheek come up red.
When I was 18 i pulled a few all nighters for uni cos i was making a model. I woke up after falling asleep for a few hours with blood gushing out of my arm - i had fallen asleep on a scalpel blade...
When I was 19 I slipped on some beer when up dancing in a club and went over my ankle, but continued to dance for about 2 hours. In the morning it looked like there weas a golf ball under my skin - I had broken a bone in my foot.
Finally - just last year i was making apple crumble but i couldnt find the corer so i decided to use my nice new sharp knife. So sharp that i went through the apple, which i was still holding in my hand, and only stopped when it hit the bone in my left index finger tip. I didnt core the apple but I had managed to skin about a third of my finger end.
I'm a disaster zone.

Harrison
17th August 2007, 16:13
That does sound like a series of escalating accidents. If you continue like this I hate to think what injuries you will be inflicting on yourself in another 20 years!

The bike accident reminded me of one I had years ago. I had one of those cool 70's choppers and was racing around the roads near my house when suddenly the front wheel dropped down through a storm drain grill and got wedged. I short straight off the bike forwards through the bap between the handlebars, getting the bike tangled up around me and landed on my leg, gashing it open badly. Luckily I wasn't far from my house so managed to drag myself up to the front door (with the bike still tangled around me), and on my mum opening the door her first words were... "What have you done to your bike now!" :lol:

Demon Cleaner
17th August 2007, 16:38
"What have you done to your bike now!":lol: That is sooo typical, first asking about collateral damage.

Harrison
17th August 2007, 16:48
Since, when asking her any question, before I would begin the question would usually be "How much is it going to cost me?"

Demon Cleaner
17th August 2007, 17:57
Yeah, the word "Moo-oom" immediately got the reply "What do you want!". :lol:

toomanymikes
17th August 2007, 19:08
Yeah, the only person I'm still afraid of is my mum... When I fell off my bike I actually cycled 5 miles up to a hospital near where I lived and pretended I had fell off there cos she told me not to cycle in town!

Submeg
18th August 2007, 00:53
Where to begin...
On my second birthday I ran through the house and tripped on the threshold to the bathroom, which was being done up, and slit my eyebrow on a nail - still have the scar.
When i was about 13 i tried to jump over a small retaining wall at the bootom of a hill on my bike but my front wheel didnt quite make it and resuted in me landing on my head with the bike on top of me - i lost an eyebrow, same one, and now when its cold the scars on my cheek come up red.
When I was 18 i pulled a few all nighters for uni cos i was making a model. I woke up after falling asleep for a few hours with blood gushing out of my arm - i had fallen asleep on a scalpel blade...
When I was 19 I slipped on some beer when up dancing in a club and went over my ankle, but continued to dance for about 2 hours. In the morning it looked like there weas a golf ball under my skin - I had broken a bone in my foot.
Finally - just last year i was making apple crumble but i couldnt find the corer so i decided to use my nice new sharp knife. So sharp that i went through the apple, which i was still holding in my hand, and only stopped when it hit the bone in my left index finger tip. I didnt core the apple but I had managed to skin about a third of my finger end.
I'm a disaster zone.

Damn, that is a LOT of injuries :lol:

Ghost
19th August 2007, 04:26
Hello all,

Probably not as impressive as any of yours but I remember this as one of the most stupid things I have ever done.

It was a couple of years ago when I still lived with my mom, I just had finished an appointment and was heading to my car when I discovered a piece of paper under my windscreen wiper, as expected it was a ticket.

I don't really know exactly anymore what happened next but as the appointment had been rather disappointing too I was a bit miffed about it all when I drove back home.

Somewhere while driving I decided to check out the ticket again to see how much it was, I don't think it took very long but I suddenly realised with a shock what I was doing; driving on a speedway without keeping my eyes on the road.

Man, I was really angry on myself for doing something that stupid.

FOL
19th August 2007, 12:21
Well, worst thing that has ever happened to me, was when i was 3. I really needed the toilet, and we were down a park close to where I live. I was running, got to toilet, tripped on first step and cracked my head open on the third.

Apparently, I just sat up and didnt move, i didnt even cry, and blood was pumping out everywhere. Luckly for me, a doctors surgery was 2 mins away. Stiched me up and I was all better. Best part is I didnt need the toilet after that, lol.

Submeg
19th August 2007, 15:30
Nasty...cuts to the head bleed heaps

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 07:32
I was bitten into my lip when playing with a dog when I was 2-3 years old, but with 3 stitches it was patched again.

I had a box with crackers, eating one myself, giving one to the dog, then eating one again myself, aso. Then with the last cracker I played with the dog, and teased him all the time. Then I put the cracker into my mouth, and the dog of course wanted to snap it to, biting me in my lip. Luckily it was a small dog.

But I cannot remember it though, my mother told me. But when examining my lip, you can still see the scar, but only if you know it's there, otherwise you won't see. Well, it's over 30 years ago.

toomanymikes
21st August 2007, 13:17
Update: Yesterday I was putting some stuff in the loft and i stood up within the pitched area, my back bounced off of the sarking boards (we use these in scotland to nail the tiles to) and a nail head went a good centemeter into my back. Wouldnt have been so bad but just seconds before I had said to my girlfriend "wouldnt it be sore if you fell against all of those" and pointed at the nails.
Arse:mad:

Teho
21st August 2007, 16:11
"wouldn't it be stupid if you did that thing?" "yeah, sure would.." and two minutes later you go ahead and do it. Those are just the worst moments. :lol:

For my own part, without repeating the whole thing here there's that earlier story (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=823) about me almost slicing a big chunk of finger off. That was a pretty stupid incident allright. It's healed pretty much allright by the way. I can't quite bend the finger fully, but it's not missing much so no big deal. And there'll be a scar of course, but it's not like I don't have a million of those on my hands and arms allready. That just goes with the territory.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 16:45
Those are definitely the worst moments, straight after commenting on something and then doing exactly as you described.

FOL
21st August 2007, 18:59
Update: Yesterday I was putting some stuff in the loft and i stood up within the pitched area, my back bounced off of the sarking boards (we use these in scotland to nail the tiles to) and a nail head went a good centemeter into my back. Wouldnt have been so bad but just seconds before I had said to my girlfriend "wouldnt it be sore if you fell against all of those" and pointed at the nails.
Arse:mad:

You know what, i had forgotten about my loft incident.

I was looking for something, about 4 months ago. My son was asking question after question, so i said "come on enough already" with that i stood up (forgetting the TV aerial i had fitted). I felt a sharp stabbing pain on the left of my face and ear. Put my hand on it, and look at my hand. It was covered in blood, so i grab my ear and face and pushed hard to stop blood (as if it would, it was pumping out). I managed to clamber down the ladders and the stairs. Wife wondered what I was doing, so i pulled my hand away from my face. Next came the reply "Oh my god".

Turned out I had rammed my head into the blade of aerial (which was sharp as i knife). My wife waited on me hand and foot for days, ;). It was great, and luckly I have no scar of my face or ear, :).

EDIT:- hope this makes sense, im tired.

toomanymikes
21st August 2007, 20:09
You win!:p

FOL
21st August 2007, 20:44
You win!:p

Nice, what do a win, :)

toomanymikes
21st August 2007, 20:46
From the sound of it a tetanus shot and a day in bed!

FOL
21st August 2007, 20:51
From the sound of it a tetanus shot and a day in bed!

Bah, tetnus, whats that, lol.

EDIT:- Another forgotten injury, ;). Your making me remember.

I was a scout, delivering stuff to houses. Got to 1 house, put my hand through letter box. Felt a burning feeling, so i pulled and nothing my hand was stuck. By this time i was crapping myself. So i thought, screw this and pulled really hard, really fast, looked at my right hand and seen a big chunk of flesh removed. Next came the blood, at which point I fainted. Woke up in hospital, wondering where i was. Next came the tetnus, kid in next bed was going nuts cause he didnt want a tetnus, then his mother said look at that good boy, hes having his. With that I screamed as they jabbed me, lol.

Turned out a dog at the house was trained to grab mail, grabbed my hand instead.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 23:31
That reminded me of a dog related accident I had when I was young. I was about 6 years old and had just finished my breakfast and was waiting to be given a lift to school. I was playing with the dog in his bed, but he started to growl and mum said to stop playing with him because he was in a bad mood (Jack Russell BTW). I ignored her and he snapped at me, nearly taking two of my fingers off.

I was lucky and it was only a flesh wound, but I still had to walk around for 8 weeks with this huge bandage around 3 fingers, covered in a huge plastic protective thing that thinking back on it much have looked like I had a big condom on my hand! At least it was my writing hand so I didn't have to do much at school. ;)

FOL
21st August 2007, 23:53
Just reminded me of another.

My mothers dog, he was a strange dog. If you were messing about (i.e. play fighting), it would go for the vitim, not the attacker. So my brother was messing and the dog went for me and ripped my right index finger open from bottom to tip straight down the middle. Like harrison i had fun trying to fix electronics for 3 weeks with a massive bandage on my hand, lol.

Sharingan
26th August 2007, 11:34
toomanymikes, you're one scary dude. Remind me to never pay you a visit - you might cause an asteroid to drop on top of our heads.