PDA

View Full Version : More Amiga releases!

Puni/Void
25th July 2007, 18:19
The activity on the Amiga demoscene has been good this year. I'm so happy to see that many groups have released something in 2007. Take a look at this;

At Breakpoint in Germany, about 17 Amiga demos and intros was released.
At Grep in Sweden, we are talking about six prods (including Versus from Void and Nukleus).
At Di-Halt there was at least two Amiga prods
At Solskogen this month, there were 3 intros competing (4 if you include the invitation intro).
Then, at Euskal in Spain this month, another Amiga intro was released by Software Failure (link here: The Persistence of Noise by Software Failure (http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fparties%2F2007%2Feuskal15%2Fin64%2Fsfl-pon-pv.lha&fileinfo))

Also, a few prods has been released at other parties as well:

A couple of demos by Artway, one by Da Hinurit, and one by Stonehead.

And now, believe it or not, there are more parties coming up this summer and autumn! :thumbs:

Harrison
26th July 2007, 00:31
Wow! That is a lot of activity and it is really great to see so much still being created on the Amiga.

Puni/Void
26th July 2007, 07:08
It's very impressive, and I think chances are that more productions will be released the upcoming autumn, and perhaps around Christmas time. Hopefully Void will bring us a new issue of Saxonia as well, along with another edition of their Versus chart. :)
Also, Rebb mentioned in another thread here that TRSI might come up with something for the Amiga in the upcoming months - that would have been awesome!

Harrison
26th July 2007, 09:46
I have an idea. How about a new article on the site about The Amiga demoscene in 2007? I think it would be of interest to visitors to see how much the Amiga still features within the scene even in 2007. Good idea?

Puni/Void
26th July 2007, 09:53
A very good idea, Harrison! :thumbs: Although, the year isn't over yet, one can still write an article about what has been going on until now. After it has been published, we could update the article from time to time, depending on which parties has been held, along with releases. Will start writing this piece as soon as possible. A good thing is that we have a lot of screenshots from productions released in 2007, so we can use a few of them in article as well.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 10:13
Great. I think this will be a popular article. And updating it as new productions and parties happen is a good idea.

And I agree. It would be great to have demo entries from this year on the site linked into the article, so that visitors get to start exploring the demo directory while they read the article.

Demon Cleaner
26th July 2007, 11:40
Having the newest demos on the site is a very good idea, so we are up to date and ahead of other sites.

Puni/Void
29th July 2007, 20:42
That's true, Demon. Hopefully it can attract more visitors.

Btw, a new production has been released. This time at a party called Syntax 2007. The production has been uploaded to the Demosection on the main site, so check it out. It is called Loadershit and was made by An4kir. The intro was inspired from the Zool loader. :)

Edit:

This is totally crazy, but there was an another computer party this weekend called Big Floppy People. According to the results, these Amiga prods was released:

Cool Ska Cool by Up Rough! (demo)
Appetizer by Durex (demo)
Røgar som bøgar by Keso (demo)

There might be more releases as well. Hopefully I know more tomorrow. Releases will be added to the demosection as soon as possible.

Amazing that so much stuff is being released this. Amiga is back for the future! ;)

Edit 2:

One more production was released at this party, and that was **** *** by Hard Boyling Boys. Will add all the released prods as soon as possible. :)

v85rawdeal
30th July 2007, 09:57
What I would love to see included in these reports would be a list of the specs used to create each demo. It would be nice to see just what Amiga hardware is being used on these new productions, just to be able to gauge just how much improved the programming is, and not just whether it it is the newer peripherals that are making the difference.

(sorry if that seems a little unclear in its clarity, but my brain is struggling to wake up today!)

Harrison
30th July 2007, 22:58
Creating demos on current PPC Amigas wouldn't be that different to creating them (power wise) on a modern PC. The whole beauty of Amiga demos for me is seeing what the coders can achieve on the original classic Amiga hardware.

Puni/Void
25th August 2008, 11:47
Part of the charm is to see what they can manage to cram out of the classic hardware. Take the recent demos made for the Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200 for example. A lot of the effects shown in these productions were reckoned impossible to do back in the day. That is quite an amazing accomplishment.

Due to this, I tend to think of many PC demos (not all) as a bit boring. Fair enough that they perhaps contain pretty visuals, but if one starts thinking about the hardware they have available, it's not impressive in the same way. You can do a lot of stuff with a top of the line graphics card and 2GB of RAM. ;)

Harrison
8th September 2008, 17:33
Very true. PC productions have to instead be about the artistic and asthetic elements and the design of the whole production. This is I suppose the true expression of computer art.

In contrast Amiga demos and those on all other older retro hardware combine artistic expression with technical limitations, which can sometimes work in favour of the developers as they have restrictions they have to work around or against that help to define a production and make it something unique and special.